Water Temp v wetsuit

Tried my new wetsuit out at the Y. Water temp around 80. Works very well, but too warm to do much of a workout. Question: What water temp would be the line for wetsuit or no wetsuit? Is there a temp set by the event?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    In most tri’s shoes are not required for the run. However shoes (like wetsuits) do provide safety and competitive advantage to those who wear them. And with the exception of the Barefoot Running Society, I doubt there are many folks who grouse about them shoed runners. +1 @ Barebutt Swimming Society shoes are more analogous to goggles than to wetsuits since both shoes and goggles 1) are worn to a prevent physical harm that cannot be mitigated by training and 2) are worn even though they carry competitive disadvantages, such as time lost during T1 and T2 to put on shoes, and a loss (?) of stream line in the case of goggles. goggles also correct vision. the weak link might be the non-textile swim cap, which is selected and donned for heat retention and speed. there are other inconsistencies. some mechanical alterations are ok, such as shaving, while others are not, such as skin grafts to web toes or fingers or bone lengthening or shortening. maybe the division between amateur and professional athletes is a good analogy. personally, i do not have much invested in the putative issue, it's just fun to mull over controversies.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    In most tri’s shoes are not required for the run. However shoes (like wetsuits) do provide safety and competitive advantage to those who wear them. And with the exception of the Barefoot Running Society, I doubt there are many folks who grouse about them shoed runners. +1 @ Barebutt Swimming Society shoes are more analogous to goggles than to wetsuits since both shoes and goggles 1) are worn to a prevent physical harm that cannot be mitigated by training and 2) are worn even though they carry competitive disadvantages, such as time lost during T1 and T2 to put on shoes, and a loss (?) of stream line in the case of goggles. goggles also correct vision. the weak link might be the non-textile swim cap, which is selected and donned for heat retention and speed. there are other inconsistencies. some mechanical alterations are ok, such as shaving, while others are not, such as skin grafts to web toes or fingers or bone lengthening or shortening. maybe the division between amateur and professional athletes is a good analogy. personally, i do not have much invested in the putative issue, it's just fun to mull over controversies.
Children
No Data