Water Temp v wetsuit

Tried my new wetsuit out at the Y. Water temp around 80. Works very well, but too warm to do much of a workout. Question: What water temp would be the line for wetsuit or no wetsuit? Is there a temp set by the event?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    I am SO TIRED of hearing the criticism and The belittling of the swim leg of triathlons by people who have no idea what it is all about. Let me make it perfectly clear right now, if it wasn't for the swim leg in triathlons I would never be able to relive the joy I had 30 years ago swimming near the front of an open water race. Outside of USAT Nationals I always finished in the top 3% to 8% in the swim, and finished 3rd overall 2 years in a row in fields of over 250 people in the race (it had a longer than normal swim leg). Please don't take that away from me. I'm not nearly as old as you, but I did participate in a good couple of dozen triathlons in the early 80's (if participation can be defined as crawling through a 10k on one's hands and knees) These were indeed the good old days... few (if any) wetsuits, no aero bars, creative non-standardized distances, and beer company sponsorships.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    I am SO TIRED of hearing the criticism and The belittling of the swim leg of triathlons by people who have no idea what it is all about. Let me make it perfectly clear right now, if it wasn't for the swim leg in triathlons I would never be able to relive the joy I had 30 years ago swimming near the front of an open water race. Outside of USAT Nationals I always finished in the top 3% to 8% in the swim, and finished 3rd overall 2 years in a row in fields of over 250 people in the race (it had a longer than normal swim leg). Please don't take that away from me. I'm not nearly as old as you, but I did participate in a good couple of dozen triathlons in the early 80's (if participation can be defined as crawling through a 10k on one's hands and knees) These were indeed the good old days... few (if any) wetsuits, no aero bars, creative non-standardized distances, and beer company sponsorships.
Children
No Data