Water Temp v wetsuit

Tried my new wetsuit out at the Y. Water temp around 80. Works very well, but too warm to do much of a workout. Question: What water temp would be the line for wetsuit or no wetsuit? Is there a temp set by the event?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    But if you are going to allow me to use a tool in a triathlon which will (1) allow me to swim faster and (2) stay warmer thus conserving energy for the bike and run, I'm going with that option. This is essentially the same argument that was made in favor of tech suits. Yes... there is no denying that many competitors will embrace every technical advantage that is made available to them, even to the point where the very nature of the activity they are participating in becomes completely different from what it was before said "technical advances". Bravo if it makes you more competitive... but there is still only room for 3 on the podium. The swim leg of a triathlon is not the same thing as an OW swim. The whole sport seems to favor making the swim as easy and short as possible. Reason: To encourage mass participation (read $$$$$), even to the point where really poor swimmers are likely to enter. There is a company now marketing wetsuits with EXTRA floatation built in. Yes, I think the training wheel analogy is appropriate. Call me a relic if you want... I'm also the guy with the Rossin steel frame (Columbus SL tubing), Campy Super Record 12 speed, sew-ups, friction shifters on the drop, and leather hair net.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    But if you are going to allow me to use a tool in a triathlon which will (1) allow me to swim faster and (2) stay warmer thus conserving energy for the bike and run, I'm going with that option. This is essentially the same argument that was made in favor of tech suits. Yes... there is no denying that many competitors will embrace every technical advantage that is made available to them, even to the point where the very nature of the activity they are participating in becomes completely different from what it was before said "technical advances". Bravo if it makes you more competitive... but there is still only room for 3 on the podium. The swim leg of a triathlon is not the same thing as an OW swim. The whole sport seems to favor making the swim as easy and short as possible. Reason: To encourage mass participation (read $$$$$), even to the point where really poor swimmers are likely to enter. There is a company now marketing wetsuits with EXTRA floatation built in. Yes, I think the training wheel analogy is appropriate. Call me a relic if you want... I'm also the guy with the Rossin steel frame (Columbus SL tubing), Campy Super Record 12 speed, sew-ups, friction shifters on the drop, and leather hair net.
Children
No Data