Water Temp v wetsuit

Tried my new wetsuit out at the Y. Water temp around 80. Works very well, but too warm to do much of a workout. Question: What water temp would be the line for wetsuit or no wetsuit? Is there a temp set by the event?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    I’d say it is a purist kind of thing. We have a group that does training swims in a local lake almost year round. Most of the swimmers wear wet suits when the temp gets below 65-68 and some will wear wetsuits into the low 80’s. Some of the elitist/purist/snobs (ME) only put on the wetsuit when it gets below 50F. It all depends on what your body can handle and how much you want to push your limits. However, I would much prefer to see folks in the water in a wetsuit than not swimming at all or hypothermic. And I don’t suggest trying to test your cold water limits without understanding the danger signs of hypothermia. Today I went for a swim in a new pool (new to me, it was my first time in that pool). While I was waiting for the aqua aerobics class to finish up and the lap swimming to begin I put my toes in to feel the water - warm. The guy there said they keep the pool in the mid 80's. I have to say I really didnt care for it at all! My first set was 2k yards and I was feeling smothered by the warm water every single lap! Every stroke it seemed! My next two sets were more comfortable, but I had to make myself put the temperature out of my thoughts. The cold water used to be kind of intimidating, and I'm sure it would take some getting used to. I think it was only yesterday I was assuming my lean body would need a wetsuit to stay warm. But after todays swim I feel much more willing to skip a wetsuit if the water is colder. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I may be feeling a bit eager to swim in colder water. :bow:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    I’d say it is a purist kind of thing. We have a group that does training swims in a local lake almost year round. Most of the swimmers wear wet suits when the temp gets below 65-68 and some will wear wetsuits into the low 80’s. Some of the elitist/purist/snobs (ME) only put on the wetsuit when it gets below 50F. It all depends on what your body can handle and how much you want to push your limits. However, I would much prefer to see folks in the water in a wetsuit than not swimming at all or hypothermic. And I don’t suggest trying to test your cold water limits without understanding the danger signs of hypothermia. Today I went for a swim in a new pool (new to me, it was my first time in that pool). While I was waiting for the aqua aerobics class to finish up and the lap swimming to begin I put my toes in to feel the water - warm. The guy there said they keep the pool in the mid 80's. I have to say I really didnt care for it at all! My first set was 2k yards and I was feeling smothered by the warm water every single lap! Every stroke it seemed! My next two sets were more comfortable, but I had to make myself put the temperature out of my thoughts. The cold water used to be kind of intimidating, and I'm sure it would take some getting used to. I think it was only yesterday I was assuming my lean body would need a wetsuit to stay warm. But after todays swim I feel much more willing to skip a wetsuit if the water is colder. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I may be feeling a bit eager to swim in colder water. :bow:
Children
No Data