Water Temp v wetsuit

Tried my new wetsuit out at the Y. Water temp around 80. Works very well, but too warm to do much of a workout. Question: What water temp would be the line for wetsuit or no wetsuit? Is there a temp set by the event?
Parents
  • So its like riding a bike with training wheels? Or is it a purist kind of thing?I’d say it is a purist kind of thing. We have a group that does training swims in a local lake almost year round. Most of the swimmers wear wet suits when the temp gets below 65-68 and some will wear wetsuits into the low 80’s. Some of the elitist/purist/snobs (ME) only put on the wetsuit when it gets below 50F. It all depends on what your body can handle and how much you want to push your limits. However, I would much prefer to see folks in the water in a wetsuit than not swimming at all or hypothermic. And I don’t suggest trying to test your cold water limits without understanding the danger signs of hypothermia. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wetsuits, OR the people who wear them.
  • So its like riding a bike with training wheels? Or is it a purist kind of thing?I’d say it is a purist kind of thing. We have a group that does training swims in a local lake almost year round. Most of the swimmers wear wet suits when the temp gets below 65-68 and some will wear wetsuits into the low 80’s. Some of the elitist/purist/snobs (ME) only put on the wetsuit when it gets below 50F. It all depends on what your body can handle and how much you want to push your limits. However, I would much prefer to see folks in the water in a wetsuit than not swimming at all or hypothermic. And I don’t suggest trying to test your cold water limits without understanding the danger signs of hypothermia. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wetsuits, OR the people who wear them.
Children
No Data