Water Temp v wetsuit

Tried my new wetsuit out at the Y. Water temp around 80. Works very well, but too warm to do much of a workout. Question: What water temp would be the line for wetsuit or no wetsuit? Is there a temp set by the event?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Here are the rules from USA Triathlon: Wetsuits: Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wetsuit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wetsuit at their own discretion, provided, however that participants who wears a wetsuit within such temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Above 84 degrees, wetsuits are prohibited. (www.usatriathlon.org/.../most-common-violations.aspx) I've always used this as a guideline for whether to wear a wetsuit or not - although in my experience, I've found I really didn't need it when the water was 74 degrees and higher (I only have a full/long sleeve wetsuit). I agree with Kris about the extra buoyancy when swimming - Its like swimming downhill. But 68 is downright cold for me!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Here are the rules from USA Triathlon: Wetsuits: Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wetsuit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wetsuit at their own discretion, provided, however that participants who wears a wetsuit within such temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Above 84 degrees, wetsuits are prohibited. (www.usatriathlon.org/.../most-common-violations.aspx) I've always used this as a guideline for whether to wear a wetsuit or not - although in my experience, I've found I really didn't need it when the water was 74 degrees and higher (I only have a full/long sleeve wetsuit). I agree with Kris about the extra buoyancy when swimming - Its like swimming downhill. But 68 is downright cold for me!
Children
No Data