Raynaud's Syndrome

I am wondering if any other open water folks deal with Raynaud's Syndrome--extremely cold hands and feet that becomes almost debilitating. Mine has gotten worse in the last two years or so, and with open water swimming in cold conditions, it's been just awful. I deal with color change and pain on an almost daily basis. Sometimes, even after a summer run, I'll be almost unable to use my hands for an hour or so. With a 10-mile swim coming up, in less than Caribbean conditions up in Vermont, I am getting extremely nervous. This summer, I've been having massive Raynaud's issues because of the crazy weather. Has anyone else dealt with this? One recommendation is to stay out of cold water--not so much an option! Thanks.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    The word is that Lake Memphremagog is over 70. At what temps do you begin to experience symptoms?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I don't have Raynaud's syndrome...but Perpetuum mixes fine with hot water and works for me on cold swims to stay warm inside. Also hot chicken broth is great but I usually dilute it to about half strength. I also thought I might try miso but haven't done so yet.
  • I have dissolved vanilla GU's in warm/hot water- approx 1 per 6-8 oz. and they were tolerable. Tried the espresso and the chocolate- my favorites taken straight on a run or ride, but in warm water, they look and taste like MUD!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Hi Sydned, I know this is an old post but I was wondering if you found something that worked for the raynauds? In the last two years mine has got worse and is now threatening to stop me swimming in cold water without a wetsuit. I've tried most things but nothing seems to help. Any advice would be much appreciated.
  • Hi Tickletoe, Which makes me giggle just to write. :) I wish that I had something great to tell you about having found an amazing solution to the Raynaud's issue. Sadly, I have not. I have been continuing to swim, of course, and try to acclimate myself as best as possible. That said, I am generally cold and the hand can totally become a claw. I do hot feeds and have continued to use Miso soup, both for immersing my hands and for drinking. That seems to help a bit, but it's a crap shoot with every swim. I've also been taking Fish Oil and some other supplements. Not sure they actually help, but the placebo effect is good. :) What have you been trying? Happy to talk strategy. Good luck! Sydne