Be careful what you wish for: Sunscreen

Former Member
Former Member
As some of you may know, I am a bit obsessed with sunscreen since I have rotten, non-tanning skin and like to swim long distances. To date, Bullfrog has made the best, most waterproof sunscreen that I have been able to find. First of all, let me say that it appears that Bullfrog has made their sunscreen (the Superblock 50) even more waterproof than it was. It works very well. However, even with that improvement, they just slipped to #2 on the Jansen Totally Subject Sunscreen Scale. I just remortgaged the house, cashed in all my 401k's and bought a bottle of Waterman's SPF 55. I had heard that this was amazingly durable in the water. Durable isn't the word. I'm not even sure what the word is, but it works astoundingly well. I spent 2.5 hours swimming in the direct sun this weekend and don't even have the slightest sign of red. Even the improved Bullfrog doesn't hold up that well. Apparently Waterman's decided to skip using things like waxes and oils to make their sunscreen waterproof and just mixed it with marine epoxy instead. That's the good news. The bad news is that it is EXPENSIVE - I paid about $20 for a 3.4 ounce bottle (3-ish applications) at www.swimoutlet.com. Apparently the sunblock and epoxy is mixed with gold and unicorn sweat or some other exotic stuff that necessitates the price. The really bad news is that it is almost impossible to wash off. Even after being in the water for hours, I had to soap down 5 times (I tried Ivory, Dove, Dr. Bronner's, some generic soap and a soap that I make myself that is usually very good at removing sunscreen) and use an exfoliating scrub to get it to the point that I thought I had most of it off. Maybe you have to pay them another $20 for the secret of getting it off without using a barbecue grill brush, a belt sander and trichlorethane. OK. I'm sold. This stuff is great. It definately goes in the bag for races and long workouts. Now I just need a second job and a waterproof belt sander. -LBJ
  • As some of you may know, I am a bit obsessed with sunscreen since I have rotten, non-tanning skin and like to swim long distances. To date, Bullfrog has made the best, most waterproof sunscreen that I have been able to find. First of all, let me say that it appears that Bullfrog has made their sunscreen (the Superblock 50) even more waterproof than it was. It works very well. However, even with that improvement, they just slipped to #2 on the Jansen Totally Subject Sunscreen Scale. I just remortgaged the house, cashed in all my 401k's and bought a bottle of Waterman's SPF 55. I had heard that this was amazingly durable in the water. Durable isn't the word. I'm not even sure what the word is, but it works astoundingly well. I spent 2.5 hours swimming in the direct sun this weekend and don't even have the slightest sign of red. Even the improved Bullfrog doesn't hold up that well. Apparently Waterman's decided to skip using things like waxes and oils to make their sunscreen waterproof and just mixed it with marine epoxy instead. That's the good news. The bad news is that it is EXPENSIVE - I paid about $20 for a 3.4 ounce bottle (3-ish applications) at www.swimoutlet.com. Apparently the sunblock and epoxy is mixed with gold and unicorn sweat or some other exotic stuff that necessitates the price. The really bad news is that it is almost impossible to wash off. Even after being in the water for hours, I had to soap down 5 times (I tried Ivory, Dove, Dr. Bronner's, some generic soap and a soap that I make myself that is usually very good at removing sunscreen) and use an exfoliating scrub to get it to the point that I thought I had most of it off. Maybe you have to pay them another $20 for the secret of getting it off without using a barbecue grill brush, a belt sander and trichlorethane. OK. I'm sold. This stuff is great. It definately goes in the bag for races and long workouts. Now I just need a second job and a waterproof belt sander. -LBJ Maybe the reason it's so expensive is that it is meant to be permanent. Unicorn sweat is STRONG STUFF! :weightlifter: :D
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    haha, yeah as an Aussie I use zinc for the long swims. Sticks like s#@$ to a blanket and gets stuck all over your suit, but it works. Only problem is keeping it out of the goggles. Thanks for the info on the Waterman sunscreen! it would be nice to try a new one. I agree about the Bullfrog too. That's a good one.
  • Both good to know should I successfully make it up to those longer than 5K races I anticipate entering next year. I wonder if Fast Orange would take off that Waterman's. I had the chance to exfoliate my entire body yesterday using that stuff. I was simply changing a serpentine belt, but ended up covered head to toe in grease and oil. Fast Orange. You can buy it for a couple bucks at any auto parts store.
  • Former Member
    Okay, here's a cheap substitute: zinc diaper rash cream. Yes, you will look like an Australian Aborigine doing some kind of ghost dance wearing it. On the other hand your alabaster-white arms will be very visible to passing boat traffic and possibly show up on the Google Earth satellite shots. But it does stay on...and on.
  • Dawn dishwashing liquid is great! For nonhuman application, because it is noxious (Chris Stevens could say why), ammonia plus Clorox together is lethal to all manner of grease. What do car mechanics use?
  • Former Member
    Update on this: The adventure on removing this stuff continues. I tried Noxema cream and it didn't even touch it. The Court Without Appeal handed down a harshly worded ruling when she found out that I had used her entire jar of Noxema trying to get this off. I barely escaped the death penalty - fighting the cats for sleeping room on the couch last night. However, I did find something that DOES work: Dawn dish washing liquid works GREAT. Takes it off in 1 or 2 applications, slick as can be. I reasoned that if it works to remove spilled oil off of birds and otters, it might work on this. The Court Without Appeal's judgement on this: "Do you have any idea of the horror of being married to someone whose brain works like a carnival's house of mirrors." No guess if using Dawn like that is a good idea, but for now, that's what I'm stuck with. -LBJ
  • Former Member
    ammonia plus Clorox together is lethal to all manner of grease. DO NOT mix bleach and ammonia. When mixed they form chlorine gas. Very dangerous.
  • Former Member
    What do car mechanics use? Gojo, orange goo, etc. It has pumice in it, good for scrubbing grease and stuff under your finger nails.
  • Gojo, orange goo, etc. It has pumice in it, good for scrubbing grease and stuff under your finger nails. This is also the Fast Orange to which I referred earlier. The grease will come off taking the outer layer of skins cells with it.
  • Former Member
    Eureka! I accidently discovered something that takes off all sunscreens with almost no effort. The local Dollar Tree store has a crappy shaving gel called On The Go For Men. It absolutely rips sunscreen off your body, even better than Dawn detergent. I found this out when I decided to shave right after a workout and before showering. Some of the gel dripped off my chin and onto my chest. In one second the sunscreen on my chest was gone. It's only $1.00 and a tube will last for 5-6 de-suncreening applications. It works with other brands of sunscreen too (Bullfrog, Ocean Potions, etc). -LBJ