Roatan to Utila 18 Mile Swim Attempt

Former Member
Former Member
:wave:Hi everyone. I am new to this forum but not new to swimming. Before my husband and I retired and moved here to Roatan (island north of mainland Honduras in the western Caribbean), I belonged to the San Mateo Masters Marlins in Northern California. I was a backstroker and 800 m free swimmer, and I always went to the USMS Nationals and did pretty well (top 3 usually). I have swum two great distances when I was in my 30s and 40s. Now, I am 58, overweight, but still manage to place either 2nd or 3rd in the one mile triathlon swim held here each March (23 minute mile) as the oldest and fattest (weight doesn't seem to hinder, only help in the ocean). I have decided to attempt to swim from Roatan to the island of Utila (west of here) in about a year and a half. The distance is approx 18 miles and the water is deep (25,000 feet in one place Cayman Trench :bow: This first year will be pre-training year. At the end of this, I will know for certain if I have a good shot at the swim in June 2008. I have been researching the swim and so far no one as either attempted it nor swam it. I figure I might as well be the first as I will be 60 that year and this will be a birthday present to myself (LOL !). Has anyone heard of anyone else doing this particular swim? And, would anyone be interested in doing the swim? Of course the monies I hope to get from sponsors will be donated to three causes: Alzheimers (my mom is dying from this now), the Marine Park here on the island to stop poaching and save our reef, and to animal health here on the island (hundreds of junkyard dogs with no homes or food). I'd appreciate any feedback from any of you. Before I became an ocean swimmer, I always had a motto: Chlorine is the breakfast of champions!! your new island friend, Donna
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Hi Donna While -again- catching up on my reading, I had to do a double-take when I first read: That is slow. Sorry, couldn't help it! Ahmed, :rofl: :rofl:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Hi Donna While -again- catching up on my reading, I had to do a double-take when I first read: That is slow. Sorry, couldn't help it! Ahmed, :rofl: :rofl:
Children
No Data