Sh-sh-shark!

Former Member
Former Member
You probably know what's coming next. Should I have genuine concerns about having my leg ripped off by a shark, while in the sea? I want to start getting some open water swims in, but being in FL., I'm a bit nervous about it. Any thoughts or suggestions? Peace...
Parents
  • I swam in the 2m Newport Pier to Pier in 2004. Before the event in 62 degree water, we gathered at Balboa Pier only to learn that a shark had been sighted the night before off the pier. The Lifeguard in charge announced that it was up to us (there were about 200 of us) whether he would go ahead with the event. Just then, a 75 year old-woman swimmer yelled, "Bring him on!" at which point all the young college guys looked at each other and said, "man, if she's going, we're going. And the race was on. I have never enjoyed any competition more in my life...It was an hour's worth of total exhilaration I will remember always...What a blast for a 47yr old who is now 51 and wants to do the Alcatraz Shark Swim...Has anyone done it and do you have any advice to a daily lap swimmer at George Mason University in Virginia. RKW :fish2:
  • I swam in the 2m Newport Pier to Pier in 2004. Before the event in 62 degree water, we gathered at Balboa Pier only to learn that a shark had been sighted the night before off the pier. The Lifeguard in charge announced that it was up to us (there were about 200 of us) whether he would go ahead with the event. Just then, a 75 year old-woman swimmer yelled, "Bring him on!" at which point all the young college guys looked at each other and said, "man, if she's going, we're going. And the race was on. I have never enjoyed any competition more in my life...It was an hour's worth of total exhilaration I will remember always...What a blast for a 47yr old who is now 51 and wants to do the Alcatraz Shark Swim...Has anyone done it and do you have any advice to a daily lap swimmer at George Mason University in Virginia. RKW :fish2:
Children
No Data