Sh-sh-shark!

Former Member
Former Member
You probably know what's coming next. Should I have genuine concerns about having my leg ripped off by a shark, while in the sea? I want to start getting some open water swims in, but being in FL., I'm a bit nervous about it. Any thoughts or suggestions? Peace...
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    I really don't know about how frequent sharks are off the beaches in Florida. I went to a swim camp there that made us do some ocean swims a few times. Once I think we swam 5 miles parallel to the shore. (I am not sure if that is the exact distance since it was about 25 years ago!) We always swam parallel and quite close to the shore. I would have my swimming buddy swim next to me, further out. :lmao: I did not ever see a shark in the two summers we spent at that camp. We did hear that one time the summer before a shark was spotted off the waters at that beach. I did see some other things--maybe sting rays or ? I don't remember now. It made me a bit nervous to do but I also liked it. Anyway, hope you have fun. I don't *think* sharks are always around in the Florida waters. I really don't know, though. Best wishes!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    I really don't know about how frequent sharks are off the beaches in Florida. I went to a swim camp there that made us do some ocean swims a few times. Once I think we swam 5 miles parallel to the shore. (I am not sure if that is the exact distance since it was about 25 years ago!) We always swam parallel and quite close to the shore. I would have my swimming buddy swim next to me, further out. :lmao: I did not ever see a shark in the two summers we spent at that camp. We did hear that one time the summer before a shark was spotted off the waters at that beach. I did see some other things--maybe sting rays or ? I don't remember now. It made me a bit nervous to do but I also liked it. Anyway, hope you have fun. I don't *think* sharks are always around in the Florida waters. I really don't know, though. Best wishes!
Children
No Data