Sh-sh-shark!

Former Member
Former Member
You probably know what's coming next. Should I have genuine concerns about having my leg ripped off by a shark, while in the sea? I want to start getting some open water swims in, but being in FL., I'm a bit nervous about it. Any thoughts or suggestions? Peace...
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    LOL! Actually, I did make into the water today- and there was a shark scare! Someone noticed a dorsel (sp?) fin off in the distance, about 150 yds out. I freaked out of course and the rest of the bathers and on-lookers kept watching. There were tonnes of baitfish everywhere and the shark was obviously hungry. Wondering why the lifeguards were so reticent about this Jaws sequel in the making, I marched up to the nearest hut and told the lifeguard that there was a shark out there. Obviously used to concerned citizens like me, he told me that it was a ray (I forget which) and not to worry. He even let me look through his binoculars to reassure me. Others on the beach had followed my lead, and wanted to see what was out there, too. The lifeguard and I had a short discussion about the 'perils' and myths about open water swimming, which actually made me feel a lot better about the whole deal. It also turned out that we had (briefly) swam on the same USMS team. (My DH made me laugh, when I told him this; he's like, 'Flirting with the lifeguards already?) peace...
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    LOL! Actually, I did make into the water today- and there was a shark scare! Someone noticed a dorsel (sp?) fin off in the distance, about 150 yds out. I freaked out of course and the rest of the bathers and on-lookers kept watching. There were tonnes of baitfish everywhere and the shark was obviously hungry. Wondering why the lifeguards were so reticent about this Jaws sequel in the making, I marched up to the nearest hut and told the lifeguard that there was a shark out there. Obviously used to concerned citizens like me, he told me that it was a ray (I forget which) and not to worry. He even let me look through his binoculars to reassure me. Others on the beach had followed my lead, and wanted to see what was out there, too. The lifeguard and I had a short discussion about the 'perils' and myths about open water swimming, which actually made me feel a lot better about the whole deal. It also turned out that we had (briefly) swam on the same USMS team. (My DH made me laugh, when I told him this; he's like, 'Flirting with the lifeguards already?) peace...
Children
No Data