Marathon Swim Training

Former Member
Former Member
I have 10k ocean swim experience but want to venture to marathon swim training, this being 24-26 miles. My best 10k is 3hrs 21 min and my best river swim for 4.8 was 2hrs 10 min. I learned to swim late in life 29 and have been gaining open water skills. I'm now a master swimmer and want to swim the above distance. How many months training to reach the above goal , mileage necessary, and swim workouts? I realize currents and weather conditions are a factor in the successful completion for this distance as well. Thank you.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    Thanks Rob. I'll try what you say. First, I need to 'up' my basic yardage a little. (I'm currently doing perhaps 4 or 5 x 4000 metre sessions a week.) In the past, I have encountered twinges of cramp, usually around the 4000 metre mark during a 5km event, so, psychologically if nothing else, I do think I'm going to have to take on board some fluid at some stage.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    Thanks Rob. I'll try what you say. First, I need to 'up' my basic yardage a little. (I'm currently doing perhaps 4 or 5 x 4000 metre sessions a week.) In the past, I have encountered twinges of cramp, usually around the 4000 metre mark during a 5km event, so, psychologically if nothing else, I do think I'm going to have to take on board some fluid at some stage.
Children
No Data