Marathon Swim Training

Former Member
Former Member
I have 10k ocean swim experience but want to venture to marathon swim training, this being 24-26 miles. My best 10k is 3hrs 21 min and my best river swim for 4.8 was 2hrs 10 min. I learned to swim late in life 29 and have been gaining open water skills. I'm now a master swimmer and want to swim the above distance. How many months training to reach the above goal , mileage necessary, and swim workouts? I realize currents and weather conditions are a factor in the successful completion for this distance as well. Thank you.
Parents
  • Alex, Since you are swimming the 5K in 63 minutes, you are already in great shape (aerobic and swimming.) Congratulations. Now to your question. Again your personal results may vary, but my suggestion, for your expected pace is to take a quick 8-12 ozs. at the 5000 and again around 7500 (feeding at the hour and then at 30 minutes). From talking to 10K swimmers it seems like many of those who tried to go it straight , without fluids, ran into some dehydration / muscle fatigue between the 6000 and 8000 mark. Not enough to stop them but it was quite evident from their splits. However, some can swim for the entire 2+ hours without a drink or any significant drop off. I try to err on the side of caution and keep hydrated, instead of pushing the limits With a little practice, you should be able to do an open turn, chug your drink and be off again in about 5 seconds. It helps to have your timer or counter set the open bottle (lid removed) where you can quickly grab it. If you typically have a water bottle at practice and take a drink now and then your body will most likely need a little more fluid than someone who goes the whole workout without a drink. As for what to drink, opinions vary, electrolyte drinks or water. For short swims (??) of 10K to 10 miles, either seem to work fine. As you go longer, the electrolyte drinks become more critical. And most important have fun!!!
  • Alex, Since you are swimming the 5K in 63 minutes, you are already in great shape (aerobic and swimming.) Congratulations. Now to your question. Again your personal results may vary, but my suggestion, for your expected pace is to take a quick 8-12 ozs. at the 5000 and again around 7500 (feeding at the hour and then at 30 minutes). From talking to 10K swimmers it seems like many of those who tried to go it straight , without fluids, ran into some dehydration / muscle fatigue between the 6000 and 8000 mark. Not enough to stop them but it was quite evident from their splits. However, some can swim for the entire 2+ hours without a drink or any significant drop off. I try to err on the side of caution and keep hydrated, instead of pushing the limits With a little practice, you should be able to do an open turn, chug your drink and be off again in about 5 seconds. It helps to have your timer or counter set the open bottle (lid removed) where you can quickly grab it. If you typically have a water bottle at practice and take a drink now and then your body will most likely need a little more fluid than someone who goes the whole workout without a drink. As for what to drink, opinions vary, electrolyte drinks or water. For short swims (??) of 10K to 10 miles, either seem to work fine. As you go longer, the electrolyte drinks become more critical. And most important have fun!!!
Children
No Data