Treading Water

Former Member
Former Member
I am currently wanting to become a certified SCUBA diver. The issue that I have with this is the pre-qualifications in order to get the certification (treading water for 20 minutes and the 200yd swim.) I have no doubt that I will be able to pass the swimming portion of this test but what concerns me is the treading water. I have cerebral palsy and have very limited movement with my legs as far as trying to use them to stay afloat. I have adapted to diving with limited use of my legs but treading water makes me a little nervous. I mainly use my arms and hands to tread with the use of interval flutter kicks. Its more of a bobbing motion when done. Any one have any advice to possibly improve the technique or maybe a different method of treading water?
Parents
  • Look up drown proofing. With minimal movement anyone can sustain themselves in the water for an extended length of time. Essentially while in a vertical position in the water, you lift your neck and take a good size breath. Then put your face back in the water. You will sink a few inches, but with air in your lungs you will also float back up to the water surface. when you do, lift your neck again and take another breath. You can skull a little when you take a breath if you wish. It takes minimal energy to do this and can be continued for a long time. it is taught as a survival technique to Navy Seals.
  • Look up drown proofing. With minimal movement anyone can sustain themselves in the water for an extended length of time. Essentially while in a vertical position in the water, you lift your neck and take a good size breath. Then put your face back in the water. You will sink a few inches, but with air in your lungs you will also float back up to the water surface. when you do, lift your neck again and take another breath. You can skull a little when you take a breath if you wish. It takes minimal energy to do this and can be continued for a long time. it is taught as a survival technique to Navy Seals.
Children
No Data