Long Distance Event Training

I have entered the Swim Around Lido Key event for April 14th. It is about a 7mile swim. The longest I’ve done previous is 3 miles, and that’s sorta like a long workout - took me 74 minutes. Seven miles is a bit longer and I’m wishing for some friendly advice. Would anyone like to help me in my training for this? I’m wondering about the last week, or “taper week”. I don’t think I should cut back to much less than 5-6000/day, but maybe I’m wrong here. I’m getting in 8-10,000 on Saturdays now, and have to limit my weekday swims to 5-6000 as it is. I just figure I want to be rested, but don’t want to over do the resting. Thanks in advance!
Parents
  • I've generally not had a problem with swims of 1 to 2+ miles from swallowing salt water. I don't get sea sick easily, but because you are immediately on top of rocking and rolling surf, I think that can happen pretty easily as there is no steady horizon - easier than in a boat where you can sight on the steady horizon. My last Atlantic City swim was 1.5 miles, some wind and swell in the ocean, and I was not feeling great at the end. I swallowed my fair share of water and was more worried about diarrhea after getting out, but think the "sick" feeling was the beginning of motion sickness. Check out the links from Janswim. I've taken dramamine when fishing and have never had a motion sickness problem when others who didn't take it were sick in less than an hour. Way to hang in there, Celeste - now that you've done the training, go back after an OW swim and hope for a calmer day. I'm a little surprised they DQd you for standing. Even in a pool meet swimming freestyle, I think you can stand on the bottom as long as you don't attempt to gain any competitive advantage.
  • I've generally not had a problem with swims of 1 to 2+ miles from swallowing salt water. I don't get sea sick easily, but because you are immediately on top of rocking and rolling surf, I think that can happen pretty easily as there is no steady horizon - easier than in a boat where you can sight on the steady horizon. My last Atlantic City swim was 1.5 miles, some wind and swell in the ocean, and I was not feeling great at the end. I swallowed my fair share of water and was more worried about diarrhea after getting out, but think the "sick" feeling was the beginning of motion sickness. Check out the links from Janswim. I've taken dramamine when fishing and have never had a motion sickness problem when others who didn't take it were sick in less than an hour. Way to hang in there, Celeste - now that you've done the training, go back after an OW swim and hope for a calmer day. I'm a little surprised they DQd you for standing. Even in a pool meet swimming freestyle, I think you can stand on the bottom as long as you don't attempt to gain any competitive advantage.
Children
No Data