Long Distance Event Training

I have entered the Swim Around Lido Key event for April 14th. It is about a 7mile swim. The longest I’ve done previous is 3 miles, and that’s sorta like a long workout - took me 74 minutes. Seven miles is a bit longer and I’m wishing for some friendly advice. Would anyone like to help me in my training for this? I’m wondering about the last week, or “taper week”. I don’t think I should cut back to much less than 5-6000/day, but maybe I’m wrong here. I’m getting in 8-10,000 on Saturdays now, and have to limit my weekday swims to 5-6000 as it is. I just figure I want to be rested, but don’t want to over do the resting. Thanks in advance!
Parents
  • I think Windrath and Airborne have provided good suggestions. I'm wondering how you feel at the end of a week of training heading into Monday's practice after your rest day (Sunday)? Do you feel fully recovered from the work during the previous week? The Sundays and nights when you rest are small tapers during which your body makes partial (daily and weekly) adaptations to the work. But now comes the big reward! It seems to me that your objective at this point is to become fully rested before the race in order to take the most advantage of the work you've done, and become "more and more" rested each day. Eat right to fuel the adaptation and get the most out of it. You can make daily judgments and adjustments to the suggestions above, depending on how rested you feel you are becoming. Take care and wishing you the best race possible, Celeste. Looking forward to hearing how it went.
  • I think Windrath and Airborne have provided good suggestions. I'm wondering how you feel at the end of a week of training heading into Monday's practice after your rest day (Sunday)? Do you feel fully recovered from the work during the previous week? The Sundays and nights when you rest are small tapers during which your body makes partial (daily and weekly) adaptations to the work. But now comes the big reward! It seems to me that your objective at this point is to become fully rested before the race in order to take the most advantage of the work you've done, and become "more and more" rested each day. Eat right to fuel the adaptation and get the most out of it. You can make daily judgments and adjustments to the suggestions above, depending on how rested you feel you are becoming. Take care and wishing you the best race possible, Celeste. Looking forward to hearing how it went.
Children
No Data