Long Distance Event Training

I have entered the Swim Around Lido Key event for April 14th. It is about a 7mile swim. The longest I’ve done previous is 3 miles, and that’s sorta like a long workout - took me 74 minutes. Seven miles is a bit longer and I’m wishing for some friendly advice. Would anyone like to help me in my training for this? I’m wondering about the last week, or “taper week”. I don’t think I should cut back to much less than 5-6000/day, but maybe I’m wrong here. I’m getting in 8-10,000 on Saturdays now, and have to limit my weekday swims to 5-6000 as it is. I just figure I want to be rested, but don’t want to over do the resting. Thanks in advance!
Parents
  • Paul, VERY helpful. Much of my workouts since, I don’t know, forever, includes hard intervals & long distances. I helped a friend train for the Ultraman (Jamie Harris) and she won the swim and women’s overall, and I am faster than her, but I did everything she did. Last Saturday about 6500 of my 8000 was pretty high quality. But no 2 hour straight swims. I will be (was planning on it anyway) doing a 3 hour fairly solid straight swim on the 31st (I have to jump out of the SCY pool into the LCM pool after one hour because the FSU team has the LCM pool until 10am. I will most certainly incorporate your advice, and I appreciate you more than you know!
  • Paul, VERY helpful. Much of my workouts since, I don’t know, forever, includes hard intervals & long distances. I helped a friend train for the Ultraman (Jamie Harris) and she won the swim and women’s overall, and I am faster than her, but I did everything she did. Last Saturday about 6500 of my 8000 was pretty high quality. But no 2 hour straight swims. I will be (was planning on it anyway) doing a 3 hour fairly solid straight swim on the 31st (I have to jump out of the SCY pool into the LCM pool after one hour because the FSU team has the LCM pool until 10am. I will most certainly incorporate your advice, and I appreciate you more than you know!
Children
No Data