Times for 50m freestyle (avg->good->great)?

Former Member
Former Member
Hey guys, thread below on attaining a 24s 50m free got me wondering on time ranges for 50m freestyle. Amongst masters swimmers, can you give me the rough ranges for what is considered beginner, decent/competitive, and top range? (Age is 30, if it helps). Broad ranges are fine. Even though I'm not training for the clock, I realized I'm operating in a vacuum in this regard and it'd be very interesting to see. Thanks!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    Rather than A, AA, meet, non meet, etc. in this case, how about just personal experience/opinion? 30 year old jumps in the pool. What would make sense to you for their 50m freestyle, given a beginner, a seasoned swimmer, and someone in top shape (male?) Broad ranges are fine here. I'm going for those by-now subconscious classifications you probably have in your mind ("oh, 45 secs, beginner"..."37? not bad") That sort of thing. This is by no means intended to be exhaustive or scientifically sound :) Thanks guys!
  • Former Member
    30 year old jumps in the pool. What would make sense to you for their 50m freestyle, given a beginner, a seasoned swimmer, and someone in top shape (male?) Broad ranges are fine here. Try it. Whatever time you get is what a beginner does.
  • All you're going to get is subjective opinion with a question like that. The list that swimosaur posted is a pretty objective look at swim times in the competitive circuit for masters. I guess In a way I'd ask what the heck someone would care about times for if they don't compete? What do they matter if you're not really measuring them anyway? You wanted opinion though... my gauge, for the same age group i am in (30-34) >30 = beginner 26 = average
  • Former Member
    Try it. Whatever time you get is what a beginner does. How is your answer logical? I obviously know what my time is, and it's clearly that of a beginner. That only answers 1/3 of what I asked. How does that provide me with anything useful or anything to gauge progression by? You honestly carrying this over from the previous thread? To the rest of the USMS community, you guys are admirable for tolerating this d bag who seems to thrive on pedantry and antagonism.
  • Inspired by USAS motivational times, Steve Stuart published collections of Masters Motivational Times for each course: SCY, SCM, and LCM. Method: Each category is some percentage slower than the bottom five times in the Top 10, averaged over 3 years. AAAA = 5%, AAA = 10%, ... BB = 40%. That should give you some idea.
  • Former Member
    How is your answer logical? I obviously know what my time is, and it's clearly that of a beginner. That only answers 1/3 of what I asked. How does that provide me with anything useful or anything to gauge progression by? You honestly carrying this over from the previous thread? To the rest of the USMS community, you guys are admirable for tolerating this d bag who seems to thrive on pedantry and antagonism. Here's how to gauge progression: are you getting faster?
  • I'm trying to accomplish an AAA by 2 weeks from now, LC.
  • Former Member
    Rather than A, AA, meet, non meet, etc. in this case, how about just personal experience/opinion? All you're going to get is subjective opinion with a question like that. The list that swimosaur posted is a pretty objective look at swim times in the competitive circuit for masters. I guess In a way I'd ask what the heck someone would care about times for if they don't compete? What do they matter if you're not really measuring them anyway? You wanted opinion though... my gauge, for the same age group i am in (30-34) >30 = beginner 26 = average
  • Former Member
    I'd like to see a beginning swimmer -- someone who has never done anything beyond lap swimming -- who can go 31 in 50 m swim, any age. I am willing to bet that no such creature exists. I'm sure there is. I wasn't far off personally. My first 50y free when i was 14 I went 29.9 after 3-4 weeks of swim practice. All i had done prior to that was swim in my backyard pool. I was a beginner, and could barely keep my head in the water. 29.9 doesn't convert too bad if you consider I could barely do a flip turn let alone a fast one. 33 even in lc meters maybe if I didn't have to stop and turn? I think its easy to arrive at that conversion. There's a counterexample for everything. I'm just saying, asking for subjective opinion, you'll get responses like mine, and responses that are far from mine as far as how some people want to classify times. Note: I should've denoted my classifications was for men also. I don't want anyone to think that I feel "beginner" is a dig or negative opinion of someone. I am in competition and have been for 18 years. When i see people in my age group going 30+ in a 50free the first thing on my mind is that they haven't trained enough to step from beginner to average. The list swimosaur posted is a very good objective classification of swimmers, but it would appear that it doesn't classify low enough to suit the needs of some.