Prescription swimming goggles

Former Member
Former Member
Can anyone help me understand how to figure out what strength of swimming goggles will work with my prescription? They all seem to be in negative numbers but my prescription is in positive numbers. i just want to be able to see the pace clock and my workouts without having to swim in my contacts.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    Negative numbers in your prescription mean you are nearsighted. Positive numbers mean you are farsighted. The bad news for you is that very few manufacturers make goggles for farsighted wearers. I swim with a woman who is farsighted. She was just saying the other night that the only goggles she has been able to find are very expensive ($40.00) and aren't that good. In contrast, my nearsighted husband buys prescription goggles online from SwimOutlet for $7.00 per pair.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    Negative numbers in your prescription mean you are nearsighted. Positive numbers mean you are farsighted. The bad news for you is that very few manufacturers make goggles for farsighted wearers. I swim with a woman who is farsighted. She was just saying the other night that the only goggles she has been able to find are very expensive ($40.00) and aren't that good. In contrast, my nearsighted husband buys prescription goggles online from SwimOutlet for $7.00 per pair. I was just about to rave about the ones I get from SwimOutlet at $7 a pair (or less) until I read this. I never actually noticed they didn't do positive numbers:blush:. I would have thought there'd be enough demand for them?
  • Negative numbers in your prescription mean you are nearsighted. Positive numbers mean you are farsighted. The bad news for you is that very few manufacturers make goggles for farsighted wearers. I swim with a woman who is farsighted. She was just saying the other night that the only goggles she has been able to find are very expensive ($40.00) and aren't that good. In contrast, my nearsighted husband buys prescription goggles online from SwimOutlet for $7.00 per pair. I am not sure that this is correct. Sometimes there are two ways of writing the same prescription. Wikipedia has some discussion of this: en.wikipedia.org/.../Eyeglass_prescription I'd check with your optometrist; they should be able to tell you. In any case, you will need to get from them your pupil distance as well as your prescription. As for the prescription goggles themselves, I use Barracuda. They are a bit pricey (the goggles themselves are pricey) but I like them for overall comfort, and they last a long time.
  • Keifer swim products are good, check with them.
  • I swim with Jayhawk and we were just discussing this very issue this past week! I also am farsighted and I have had a challenging time finding prescription goggles with a +diopter. I have been using a a pair made my Hilco. They are available from a company called AC Lens, and a few other places. They cost close to $40.00, with the shipping, but they have been a real lifesaver for me. I can't read the pace clock or the workouts without them. They are not the greatest goggles, but they get the job done. They stay in place for flip turns and starting off the blocks, and they don't really leak, but after about 6 months this pair is really showing a lot of wear and tear. I got advice from my eye doctor about how to order. For me she had suggested +2.5, but they only come in "whole sizes" so I got the +2.0 and that was perfect. The Hilco goggles are modular, so you can order each eye separately. I had previously found a verrrry inexpensive pair of hyperoptic googles at Swim Outlet. They surprised me by being BIFOCALS!!!!. Only the bottom half of the lens had the prescription. They did not work well for me, too hard to focus, but others may find them useful. I hope this helps.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I know this is an old thread but are those bifocals still in existence? Those sound perfect for me in seeing the clock. Otherwise I'm looking at these rx swim goggles if anyone has any suggestions?
  • pennyrobbins, I'm a little surprised that that article doesn't even mention Barracuda. That's my choice: www.sporteyes.com/.../barracuda.html