Swimming and diabetes

I've been reading the forums for awhile now and thought it would be useful to have a thread where people can talk about their experiences of swimming with diabetes. I was diagnosed with Type II last summer and started Metformin. I've had conflicting advice about diet and have found that what works best for me is low carb. I had been swimming about 1500 meters three or four times a week prior to diagnosis. As I have increased my yardage to 5000 meters five or six times a week, my blood sugar has been easier to manage (down from 196 to 105) without hypoglycemia. I am still learning about supplements. I am very interested in other people's experiences and that you have found helpful. Thanks!
Parents
  • I've been reading the forums for awhile now and thought it would be useful to have a thread where people can talk about their experiences of swimming with diabetes. I was diagnosed with Type II last summer and started Metformin. I've had conflicting advice about diet and have found that what works best for me is low carb. I had been swimming about 1500 meters three or four times a week prior to diagnosis. As I have increased my yardage to 5000 meters five or six times a week, my blood sugar has been easier to manage (down from 196 to 105) without hypoglycemia. I am still learning about supplements. I am very interested in other people's experiences and that you have found helpful. Thanks! Had an operation in 2008 and was put on prandin as one of my medications, a second operation in 2009 and was switched to Metformin to control my blood sugar. Started back swimming in 2011 (regular week 3x3000, 2x4500 mainly timed sets). In 2012 I stopped taking Metformin for a month and took the A1C test, the results were fine and I no longer take any diabetes medicines (daily count 80-110 after stopping). Don't know if I am an unusual case?
  • I've been reading the forums for awhile now and thought it would be useful to have a thread where people can talk about their experiences of swimming with diabetes. I was diagnosed with Type II last summer and started Metformin. I've had conflicting advice about diet and have found that what works best for me is low carb. I had been swimming about 1500 meters three or four times a week prior to diagnosis. As I have increased my yardage to 5000 meters five or six times a week, my blood sugar has been easier to manage (down from 196 to 105) without hypoglycemia. I am still learning about supplements. I am very interested in other people's experiences and that you have found helpful. Thanks! Had an operation in 2008 and was put on prandin as one of my medications, a second operation in 2009 and was switched to Metformin to control my blood sugar. Started back swimming in 2011 (regular week 3x3000, 2x4500 mainly timed sets). In 2012 I stopped taking Metformin for a month and took the A1C test, the results were fine and I no longer take any diabetes medicines (daily count 80-110 after stopping). Don't know if I am an unusual case?
Children
No Data