Swimming and diabetes

I've been reading the forums for awhile now and thought it would be useful to have a thread where people can talk about their experiences of swimming with diabetes. I was diagnosed with Type II last summer and started Metformin. I've had conflicting advice about diet and have found that what works best for me is low carb. I had been swimming about 1500 meters three or four times a week prior to diagnosis. As I have increased my yardage to 5000 meters five or six times a week, my blood sugar has been easier to manage (down from 196 to 105) without hypoglycemia. I am still learning about supplements. I am very interested in other people's experiences and that you have found helpful. Thanks!
Parents
  • Welll, the good news is you didn't gain weight, right? I know it's possible to get the HgA1c down, even into the 5's. What are you planning to do re diet and exercise? And good luck! I think it is important to be realistic. An A1C in the 5s would be fairly unusual. An A1C in the 6's is actually really good, according to our endo. I know almost nothing about Type II however. We roll Type 1 in our house.
  • Welll, the good news is you didn't gain weight, right? I know it's possible to get the HgA1c down, even into the 5's. What are you planning to do re diet and exercise? And good luck! I think it is important to be realistic. An A1C in the 5s would be fairly unusual. An A1C in the 6's is actually really good, according to our endo. I know almost nothing about Type II however. We roll Type 1 in our house.
Children
No Data