Swimming and diabetes

I've been reading the forums for awhile now and thought it would be useful to have a thread where people can talk about their experiences of swimming with diabetes. I was diagnosed with Type II last summer and started Metformin. I've had conflicting advice about diet and have found that what works best for me is low carb. I had been swimming about 1500 meters three or four times a week prior to diagnosis. As I have increased my yardage to 5000 meters five or six times a week, my blood sugar has been easier to manage (down from 196 to 105) without hypoglycemia. I am still learning about supplements. I am very interested in other people's experiences and that you have found helpful. Thanks!
Parents
  • I've been reading the forums for awhile now and thought it would be useful to have a thread where people can talk about their experiences of swimming with diabetes. I was diagnosed with Type II last summer and started Metformin. I've had conflicting advice about diet and have found that what works best for me is low carb. I had been swimming about 1500 meters three or four times a week prior to diagnosis. As I have increased my yardage to 5000 meters five or six times a week, my blood sugar has been easier to manage (down from 196 to 105) without hypoglycemia. I am still learning about supplements. I am very interested in other people's experiences and that you have found helpful. Thanks! - swimming works very well for me, Type II DM diagnosed in 1998, probably started in 1992 with too much work, too much stress from work, and too little fitness practice - medication from 1999 to 2002, lost enough weight, regained enough fitness to get off medication - stayed off medication until the end of 2011 - had a VERY bad practice year in 2011 (did not even reach even 50 miles in GTD compared to 150 miles in previous 2 years) - way too much work and way too much stress from work - controlled my eating and even reduced BMI, but no exercise and so no success with DM - back on medications for 2012 and restarted swimming practice (with injury prevention exercises plus some cross training plus work on diet) - will barely make 50 miled for this year - goal is to work up to 4 practices per week, 2000 yd. more or less per practice - numbers are already much better: blood glucose, HbgA1c, blood pressure, serum lipids and BMI (slowest to respond) - can't get off medications now but should be able to get off them by next year if practice is consistent and BMI goes down (estimate need to reduce from current 31.5 down to about 28.5, even lower would be better)
  • I've been reading the forums for awhile now and thought it would be useful to have a thread where people can talk about their experiences of swimming with diabetes. I was diagnosed with Type II last summer and started Metformin. I've had conflicting advice about diet and have found that what works best for me is low carb. I had been swimming about 1500 meters three or four times a week prior to diagnosis. As I have increased my yardage to 5000 meters five or six times a week, my blood sugar has been easier to manage (down from 196 to 105) without hypoglycemia. I am still learning about supplements. I am very interested in other people's experiences and that you have found helpful. Thanks! - swimming works very well for me, Type II DM diagnosed in 1998, probably started in 1992 with too much work, too much stress from work, and too little fitness practice - medication from 1999 to 2002, lost enough weight, regained enough fitness to get off medication - stayed off medication until the end of 2011 - had a VERY bad practice year in 2011 (did not even reach even 50 miles in GTD compared to 150 miles in previous 2 years) - way too much work and way too much stress from work - controlled my eating and even reduced BMI, but no exercise and so no success with DM - back on medications for 2012 and restarted swimming practice (with injury prevention exercises plus some cross training plus work on diet) - will barely make 50 miled for this year - goal is to work up to 4 practices per week, 2000 yd. more or less per practice - numbers are already much better: blood glucose, HbgA1c, blood pressure, serum lipids and BMI (slowest to respond) - can't get off medications now but should be able to get off them by next year if practice is consistent and BMI goes down (estimate need to reduce from current 31.5 down to about 28.5, even lower would be better)
Children
No Data