Swimming and diabetes

I've been reading the forums for awhile now and thought it would be useful to have a thread where people can talk about their experiences of swimming with diabetes. I was diagnosed with Type II last summer and started Metformin. I've had conflicting advice about diet and have found that what works best for me is low carb. I had been swimming about 1500 meters three or four times a week prior to diagnosis. As I have increased my yardage to 5000 meters five or six times a week, my blood sugar has been easier to manage (down from 196 to 105) without hypoglycemia. I am still learning about supplements. I am very interested in other people's experiences and that you have found helpful. Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    I have a meet to go to this weekend in Merritt BC, not to swim in. I am setting up a sales stand. I get back on Monday and buying my membership for the gym and pool. $33.00 a month. My wife and I are intent on getting in shape. The only thing that I have to do are weekend sales stands at swim meets til the 3rd weekend in August. I will follow my diabetic diet given to me through our local health authority.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    I have a meet to go to this weekend in Merritt BC, not to swim in. I am setting up a sales stand. I get back on Monday and buying my membership for the gym and pool. $33.00 a month. My wife and I are intent on getting in shape. The only thing that I have to do are weekend sales stands at swim meets til the 3rd weekend in August. I will follow my diabetic diet given to me through our local health authority.
Children
No Data