Swimming and diabetes

I've been reading the forums for awhile now and thought it would be useful to have a thread where people can talk about their experiences of swimming with diabetes. I was diagnosed with Type II last summer and started Metformin. I've had conflicting advice about diet and have found that what works best for me is low carb. I had been swimming about 1500 meters three or four times a week prior to diagnosis. As I have increased my yardage to 5000 meters five or six times a week, my blood sugar has been easier to manage (down from 196 to 105) without hypoglycemia. I am still learning about supplements. I am very interested in other people's experiences and that you have found helpful. Thanks!
Parents
  • I am now back to a monthly average reading of 8.4 The Doc said get it down to the 6s. She said get back in the pool and swim and do more walking and watch my diet. Weight unchanged at 245lbs. The doc did not change my medication. Welll, the good news is you didn't gain weight, right? I know it's possible to get the HgA1c down, even into the 5's. What are you planning to do re diet and exercise? And good luck!
  • I am now back to a monthly average reading of 8.4 The Doc said get it down to the 6s. She said get back in the pool and swim and do more walking and watch my diet. Weight unchanged at 245lbs. The doc did not change my medication. Welll, the good news is you didn't gain weight, right? I know it's possible to get the HgA1c down, even into the 5's. What are you planning to do re diet and exercise? And good luck!
Children
No Data