Swimming and diabetes

I've been reading the forums for awhile now and thought it would be useful to have a thread where people can talk about their experiences of swimming with diabetes. I was diagnosed with Type II last summer and started Metformin. I've had conflicting advice about diet and have found that what works best for me is low carb. I had been swimming about 1500 meters three or four times a week prior to diagnosis. As I have increased my yardage to 5000 meters five or six times a week, my blood sugar has been easier to manage (down from 196 to 105) without hypoglycemia. I am still learning about supplements. I am very interested in other people's experiences and that you have found helpful. Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Thanks, Keith, for the USMS link to Scott Nichols' story. He reported that his doctor found him to be an anomaly because of 1000 patients he was the only to use exercise as a significant adjunct to treatment. My (first) doctor didn't think exercise would make a significant difference and tried to discourage me from trying! My new doctor was unaware of any evidence that exercise could help but was willing to go slow on starting multiple additional (beyond metformin) medications until I could show her what I could do. I never had to start those other medications. Swimming and low carb have been the keys for me. Interesting. My father in law is diabetic and the biggest thing his doctor hassles him about is getting more exercise. I assumed the anecdote about Scott's Dr. meant Scott was his only patient with the fortitude to change his life and start working out. I'll ask Scott for clarification on that this week. FYI he's down to 2:45 in the 200 Free and almost broke 30 in the 50 this spring.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Thanks, Keith, for the USMS link to Scott Nichols' story. He reported that his doctor found him to be an anomaly because of 1000 patients he was the only to use exercise as a significant adjunct to treatment. My (first) doctor didn't think exercise would make a significant difference and tried to discourage me from trying! My new doctor was unaware of any evidence that exercise could help but was willing to go slow on starting multiple additional (beyond metformin) medications until I could show her what I could do. I never had to start those other medications. Swimming and low carb have been the keys for me. Interesting. My father in law is diabetic and the biggest thing his doctor hassles him about is getting more exercise. I assumed the anecdote about Scott's Dr. meant Scott was his only patient with the fortitude to change his life and start working out. I'll ask Scott for clarification on that this week. FYI he's down to 2:45 in the 200 Free and almost broke 30 in the 50 this spring.
Children
No Data