Swimming and diabetes

I've been reading the forums for awhile now and thought it would be useful to have a thread where people can talk about their experiences of swimming with diabetes. I was diagnosed with Type II last summer and started Metformin. I've had conflicting advice about diet and have found that what works best for me is low carb. I had been swimming about 1500 meters three or four times a week prior to diagnosis. As I have increased my yardage to 5000 meters five or six times a week, my blood sugar has been easier to manage (down from 196 to 105) without hypoglycemia. I am still learning about supplements. I am very interested in other people's experiences and that you have found helpful. Thanks!
Parents
  • I was diagnosed two years ago next month with type II. My fasting blood glucose numbers were in the 300s and I had all the hallmark symptoms they warn you to not ignore. While scary at first, it's probably the best thing that ever happened to me. It's changed my life for the better. I've changed my diet completely, I rediscovered exercise and I lost almost 50 pounds. I stayed on Metformin for about six months until my numbers stabilized low. I now hover around 100 (fBG) in the mornings and my HgA1C is at 6 (sometimes lower). I'm fairly strict with my diet although I cheat in small portions occasionally. I try to swim or run most every day and I use guilt to get me through those days in which I'm not terribly motivated. :-) When diagnosed I was 225 pounds. At 6'1" that not terrible but I certainly can see and feel the difference now. Overall I feel better about myself. I just wish I could swim faster! I certainly owe a lot to Masters swimming, CRUZ masters in particular, for providing me with a pool to swim, people with whom to swim and an incentive to come most every day. I've spoken with a lot of Type 2s out there that struggle to take the first step towards recovery. Squeezing yourself into a speedo when you're 50 pounds overweight isn't easy by any measure (physically or emotionally). At least with Masters, people aren't judgmental about such things. Most everyone has too many things on their mind to care much about your physical appearance! Anyway, good luck to you. Fixing yourself isn't easy but it's well worth the effort!
  • I was diagnosed two years ago next month with type II. My fasting blood glucose numbers were in the 300s and I had all the hallmark symptoms they warn you to not ignore. While scary at first, it's probably the best thing that ever happened to me. It's changed my life for the better. I've changed my diet completely, I rediscovered exercise and I lost almost 50 pounds. I stayed on Metformin for about six months until my numbers stabilized low. I now hover around 100 (fBG) in the mornings and my HgA1C is at 6 (sometimes lower). I'm fairly strict with my diet although I cheat in small portions occasionally. I try to swim or run most every day and I use guilt to get me through those days in which I'm not terribly motivated. :-) When diagnosed I was 225 pounds. At 6'1" that not terrible but I certainly can see and feel the difference now. Overall I feel better about myself. I just wish I could swim faster! I certainly owe a lot to Masters swimming, CRUZ masters in particular, for providing me with a pool to swim, people with whom to swim and an incentive to come most every day. I've spoken with a lot of Type 2s out there that struggle to take the first step towards recovery. Squeezing yourself into a speedo when you're 50 pounds overweight isn't easy by any measure (physically or emotionally). At least with Masters, people aren't judgmental about such things. Most everyone has too many things on their mind to care much about your physical appearance! Anyway, good luck to you. Fixing yourself isn't easy but it's well worth the effort!
Children
No Data