Safe pool temperature for various health conditions

The noodlers have succeeded, again, in getting the pool temperature raised to 86 degrees! :bitching: I have sent an e-mail to the American Red Cross, however, the more information I gather, the better! If any of you have any published articles on this topic, I would greatly appreciate it! Here is the e-mail I sent to the American Red cross: Hello, I live in an adult community with an indoor swimming pool. After doing internet research, I am still not sure of a definitive recommendation of appropriate water temperatures for the following: 1. Adults (55 years old or older) swimming laps and/or participating in water aerobics who have high blood pressure or other heart conditions. 2. Adults (55 years old or older) swimming laps and/or participating in water aerobics who have diabetes. In addition, what is the recommended air temperature and humidity percentage for an indoor pool? The pool temperature in our community was raised from 84 to 86, so I am trying to build a case for lowering the temperature to suit the needs of the majority of our residents. And, it is my guess that most of the residents using the pool have either high blood pressure, other heart conditions, diabetes, or other health conditions making it a health risk to exercise in 86 degree water. Any assistance and documentation you can provide would be most appreciated! Thank you very much, Elaine Krugman Thanks, Forumites, for any documentation you send my way! By the way, if you can post links in the forums, perhaps it would help others, as well, who are battling the same issues. If you have articles to send as attachments, please send me a PM and I will provide you my e-mail address. Thanks! Elaine P.S. Anna Lea: If you see this, does USMS have any "official" documentation at your offices?
Parents
  • I have a few comments concerning this situation. First, why would anyone who voluntarily moves to an older active adult community be surprised that the community pool is hot? If the average Y is kept at 86-87 with 10% seniors, how in the world could a person have any reasonable expectation that a retirement community would keep their pool at or near competitive swimming temperatures? That's akin to going to the Caribbean and being surprised there isn't an ice skating rink on the resort property. Next, what is the desired end result? It appears to be to lower the temperature so that one or maybe more competitive swimmers can be comfortable while they swim. Balance this against the rest of the community who doesn't want it that cool. Further, the goal of these programs is to get people moving. If you keep the water at a temperature that is uncomfortable many may not participate. Is that really what is desired? If the pool temp is lowered and no one goes to class would there really be a sense of accomplishment? Third, the health angle. It is unlikely noodlers are working hard enough such that 86 degrees will harm them. And, it is more likely they won't come to the class if the water is "cool" (relates to point above). And, you have to wonder if they really need someone else telling them what is and is not healthy for them. I have a soft spot for people with diabetes. Getting them off the couch and moving is really important and water temp is really a very minor concern. Lastly, the location of the poster is within striking distance of a number of awesome USMS teams in the greater Atlanta region, many who practice at superb facilities in nice cold water. While it is always better to practice 1 minute away from home, sometimes you have to make a sacrifice or two, especially when that sacrifice will reap great rewards. I'm not denying this pool is probably too warm. But, that has to be balanced against the aquatic goals of the majority of the participants.
  • I have a few comments concerning this situation. First, why would anyone who voluntarily moves to an older active adult community be surprised that the community pool is hot? If the average Y is kept at 86-87 with 10% seniors, how in the world could a person have any reasonable expectation that a retirement community would keep their pool at or near competitive swimming temperatures? That's akin to going to the Caribbean and being surprised there isn't an ice skating rink on the resort property. Next, what is the desired end result? It appears to be to lower the temperature so that one or maybe more competitive swimmers can be comfortable while they swim. Balance this against the rest of the community who doesn't want it that cool. Further, the goal of these programs is to get people moving. If you keep the water at a temperature that is uncomfortable many may not participate. Is that really what is desired? If the pool temp is lowered and no one goes to class would there really be a sense of accomplishment? Third, the health angle. It is unlikely noodlers are working hard enough such that 86 degrees will harm them. And, it is more likely they won't come to the class if the water is "cool" (relates to point above). And, you have to wonder if they really need someone else telling them what is and is not healthy for them. I have a soft spot for people with diabetes. Getting them off the couch and moving is really important and water temp is really a very minor concern. Lastly, the location of the poster is within striking distance of a number of awesome USMS teams in the greater Atlanta region, many who practice at superb facilities in nice cold water. While it is always better to practice 1 minute away from home, sometimes you have to make a sacrifice or two, especially when that sacrifice will reap great rewards. I'm not denying this pool is probably too warm. But, that has to be balanced against the aquatic goals of the majority of the participants.
Children
No Data