Safe pool temperature for various health conditions

The noodlers have succeeded, again, in getting the pool temperature raised to 86 degrees! :bitching: I have sent an e-mail to the American Red Cross, however, the more information I gather, the better! If any of you have any published articles on this topic, I would greatly appreciate it! Here is the e-mail I sent to the American Red cross: Hello, I live in an adult community with an indoor swimming pool. After doing internet research, I am still not sure of a definitive recommendation of appropriate water temperatures for the following: 1. Adults (55 years old or older) swimming laps and/or participating in water aerobics who have high blood pressure or other heart conditions. 2. Adults (55 years old or older) swimming laps and/or participating in water aerobics who have diabetes. In addition, what is the recommended air temperature and humidity percentage for an indoor pool? The pool temperature in our community was raised from 84 to 86, so I am trying to build a case for lowering the temperature to suit the needs of the majority of our residents. And, it is my guess that most of the residents using the pool have either high blood pressure, other heart conditions, diabetes, or other health conditions making it a health risk to exercise in 86 degree water. Any assistance and documentation you can provide would be most appreciated! Thank you very much, Elaine Krugman Thanks, Forumites, for any documentation you send my way! By the way, if you can post links in the forums, perhaps it would help others, as well, who are battling the same issues. If you have articles to send as attachments, please send me a PM and I will provide you my e-mail address. Thanks! Elaine P.S. Anna Lea: If you see this, does USMS have any "official" documentation at your offices?
Parents
  • Thanks to all of you for your feedback; I appreciate it! I live in an adult community and we all pay HOA dues to use the facilities. I'm already swimming 6 times per week, 1-11/2 hours each session, Geo, so swimming more often is not an option. I AM thankful, but I am also concerned about some of my friends who are using the pool to swim laps, etc., who may not realize the risks. The documentation I have seen states the same thing as the link you provided, Philo. What's missing is recommended temperatures for those swimming or exercising in water with high blood pressure, other heart conditions or diabetes; conditions afflicting many of our current pool users. Trying to nail that down has been difficult. At 86 degrees, the water is four degrees above recommended maximum temperatures for lap swimmers. And, it is two degrees above the max for somebody with MS, which includes one of our complaining noodlers. Humidity levels should be kept between 50-60%, according to my research, and air temperature should max. at 80 degrees. Currently, the humidity fluctuates between 70-82%, because the HVAC system keeps malfunctioning and they can't seem to get a handle on the problem. In the summer, air temps. exceed 90 degrees every day. Currently, it's below 80, so that is a good thing! I have talked to the HOA, sent letters, sent letters to the board of directors, etc., with no luck. Our annual meeting is coming up on December 7, so I plan on providing more documentation at that time. Celeste brought up a good point: If nobody is concerned about the health of our residents, perhaps the thousands of extra $$$ being spent on heating will wake them up!
  • Thanks to all of you for your feedback; I appreciate it! I live in an adult community and we all pay HOA dues to use the facilities. I'm already swimming 6 times per week, 1-11/2 hours each session, Geo, so swimming more often is not an option. I AM thankful, but I am also concerned about some of my friends who are using the pool to swim laps, etc., who may not realize the risks. The documentation I have seen states the same thing as the link you provided, Philo. What's missing is recommended temperatures for those swimming or exercising in water with high blood pressure, other heart conditions or diabetes; conditions afflicting many of our current pool users. Trying to nail that down has been difficult. At 86 degrees, the water is four degrees above recommended maximum temperatures for lap swimmers. And, it is two degrees above the max for somebody with MS, which includes one of our complaining noodlers. Humidity levels should be kept between 50-60%, according to my research, and air temperature should max. at 80 degrees. Currently, the humidity fluctuates between 70-82%, because the HVAC system keeps malfunctioning and they can't seem to get a handle on the problem. In the summer, air temps. exceed 90 degrees every day. Currently, it's below 80, so that is a good thing! I have talked to the HOA, sent letters, sent letters to the board of directors, etc., with no luck. Our annual meeting is coming up on December 7, so I plan on providing more documentation at that time. Celeste brought up a good point: If nobody is concerned about the health of our residents, perhaps the thousands of extra $$$ being spent on heating will wake them up!
Children
No Data