According to new study Chlorinated pools may lead to cancer

Has anyone else seen this information? I have been swimming regularly in chlorinated pools my whole life. Frankly, this really scares me. Can anyone make me feel better about this? I don't plan to stop swimming any time soon. Your thoughts? www.everymantri.com/.../swimming-in-chlorinated-pools-may-lead-to-cancer-new-studies-find.html
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    The salient point of the article: "People should not be afraid of swimming, but we should get more research on whether there are better practices for disinfecting pools," said Manolis Kogevinas, an epidemiologist at the Center for Research in Environmental Epidemiology in Barcelona. **** Of course chlorine is toxic. Of course, that toxicity leads to some increase in risk. The question is "How big is that increased risk compared with the dramatic health benefits of exercise?" I'm guessing that it is rather small. The article itself doesn't measure long term healthy risks - it measures chemical properties of the water, and the skin of swimmers, which could lead to risk. The risk is hypothetical. If those risks were real and large, there would be studies that show "Swimmers have X amount of risk for Y condition compared with non-swimmers." You haven't seen those studies. If there is such a risk, it is pretty small. Now, are there better water disinfectants than chlorine? I hope so. I don't like that stuff. Mick Young BS Chemistry, MS Public Health Statistics
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    The salient point of the article: "People should not be afraid of swimming, but we should get more research on whether there are better practices for disinfecting pools," said Manolis Kogevinas, an epidemiologist at the Center for Research in Environmental Epidemiology in Barcelona. **** Of course chlorine is toxic. Of course, that toxicity leads to some increase in risk. The question is "How big is that increased risk compared with the dramatic health benefits of exercise?" I'm guessing that it is rather small. The article itself doesn't measure long term healthy risks - it measures chemical properties of the water, and the skin of swimmers, which could lead to risk. The risk is hypothetical. If those risks were real and large, there would be studies that show "Swimmers have X amount of risk for Y condition compared with non-swimmers." You haven't seen those studies. If there is such a risk, it is pretty small. Now, are there better water disinfectants than chlorine? I hope so. I don't like that stuff. Mick Young BS Chemistry, MS Public Health Statistics
Children
No Data