Scapular swimming

Just went to a PT who advocates swimming within the scapular plane. Doing all strengthening exercises within the scapular plane (never doing I, T's, or Ys above shoulder level, which I have, alas, been doing). No need, in his opinion, to do internal rotation with therabands; external rotation just 3/4 from front to 45 degrees past waist). No need for overhead rotation exercises; just stresses the shoulder joints. What does scapular swimming mean? He demonstrated. No high elbows. No EVF. Use rotation; use lats; use core. Let your arms swim wide and pretty straight during the recovery, but relaxed, with the momentum of your rotation. Don't bend your arms as you pull through the water. Let your lats/core/rotation/and your entire arm be your anchor. (If the lane is crowded he tightens up his recovery a little so he doesn't whack people.) He was a national champion backstroker/Division I college swimmer. His way of swimming seems revolutionary. He said this is how Janet Evans swam, how Natalie Coughlin swims, how Torres swims, and how Phelps changed his recovery of fly, from bent elbow recovery to swinging over the water momentum recovery. He says it could avoid a lot of shoulder problems. For me, it will mean relearning to swim. Hum di dum. Any of you guys ever heard of this approach? At least in demonstrating, his freestyle pulling arm never had a high elbow or bend; he said he was much faster doing backstroke this way and that if I could learn how to do it correctly, I probably would be faster too. And that it would take the stress off my shoulders. So the idea is never let the arms get above the scapular plane of the body. I need to e-mail him about breaststroke, because I don't see how you can pull without either a fair amount of internal rotation or using high elbows. Always learning....
Parents
  • ElaineK - I will try to keep my reply short. Switch back to your 2013 stroke and you will save yourself a ton of discomfort. I have never used the term "scapular swimming" as it applies to stroke technique. I tell my swimmers two things: a) your elbow should never be behind your back and between your shoulder blades during the recovery (likes yours are in 2018 video) and b) your recovery should be as much in the frontal plane of your body as possible. Some people get away with it because of their specific body structure - others don't. If you are being told to do the "zipper" or "thumb drag" drill - stop doing it. Without very good coach assistance, it is one of the worst drills in the swimming books because, when the swimmer does not rotate properly, it leads to the elbow being behind your body. Even with close coach feedback, there are better drills to help with freestyle recovery. I also think the full catch-up drill is in this category as one of the worst drills out there. If I were your coach, I would suggest the following things: a) Make sure your thumb touches mid-way down your thigh an the end of each stroke. b) Make sure the recovery side hip is higher than the pulling side hip until your recovery arm is forward of your recovery shoulder c) To Do "B" correctly, you may need to let your pulling arm/hand be deeper in the water at the start of the pull. As I watch your video, your arms are entering the water outside your shoulder. This impedes rotation and puts lots of pressure on your shoulders. Hands should enter directly in front of your shoulder. I will try to get a video of some swimmers I like and post. PW
  • ElaineK - I will try to keep my reply short. Switch back to your 2013 stroke and you will save yourself a ton of discomfort. I have never used the term "scapular swimming" as it applies to stroke technique. I tell my swimmers two things: a) your elbow should never be behind your back and between your shoulder blades during the recovery (likes yours are in 2018 video) and b) your recovery should be as much in the frontal plane of your body as possible. Some people get away with it because of their specific body structure - others don't. If you are being told to do the "zipper" or "thumb drag" drill - stop doing it. Without very good coach assistance, it is one of the worst drills in the swimming books because, when the swimmer does not rotate properly, it leads to the elbow being behind your body. Even with close coach feedback, there are better drills to help with freestyle recovery. I also think the full catch-up drill is in this category as one of the worst drills out there. If I were your coach, I would suggest the following things: a) Make sure your thumb touches mid-way down your thigh an the end of each stroke. b) Make sure the recovery side hip is higher than the pulling side hip until your recovery arm is forward of your recovery shoulder c) To Do "B" correctly, you may need to let your pulling arm/hand be deeper in the water at the start of the pull. As I watch your video, your arms are entering the water outside your shoulder. This impedes rotation and puts lots of pressure on your shoulders. Hands should enter directly in front of your shoulder. I will try to get a video of some swimmers I like and post. PW
Children
No Data