Scapular swimming

Just went to a PT who advocates swimming within the scapular plane. Doing all strengthening exercises within the scapular plane (never doing I, T's, or Ys above shoulder level, which I have, alas, been doing). No need, in his opinion, to do internal rotation with therabands; external rotation just 3/4 from front to 45 degrees past waist). No need for overhead rotation exercises; just stresses the shoulder joints. What does scapular swimming mean? He demonstrated. No high elbows. No EVF. Use rotation; use lats; use core. Let your arms swim wide and pretty straight during the recovery, but relaxed, with the momentum of your rotation. Don't bend your arms as you pull through the water. Let your lats/core/rotation/and your entire arm be your anchor. (If the lane is crowded he tightens up his recovery a little so he doesn't whack people.) He was a national champion backstroker/Division I college swimmer. His way of swimming seems revolutionary. He said this is how Janet Evans swam, how Natalie Coughlin swims, how Torres swims, and how Phelps changed his recovery of fly, from bent elbow recovery to swinging over the water momentum recovery. He says it could avoid a lot of shoulder problems. For me, it will mean relearning to swim. Hum di dum. Any of you guys ever heard of this approach? At least in demonstrating, his freestyle pulling arm never had a high elbow or bend; he said he was much faster doing backstroke this way and that if I could learn how to do it correctly, I probably would be faster too. And that it would take the stress off my shoulders. So the idea is never let the arms get above the scapular plane of the body. I need to e-mail him about breaststroke, because I don't see how you can pull without either a fair amount of internal rotation or using high elbows. Always learning....
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Picture of Pipes-Neilsen from GoSwimWeekly website: www.goswim.tv/.../sw...m_medium=email Is this scapular plane swimming or is she rotating her shoulders forward a little into her AC joints? Or is it the pure beauty of scapular plane swimming, with incredible control of flexing only the hands for exit/entry, thus avoiding shoulder stress? I would die for her fly. Also her free. Also her IM. Hi Isobel- I checked out some videos of her swimming on Go Swim- her recovery is in Scapular plane, which is great. However, she is using an EVF that is not part of Scapular plane swimming. That torque and position can destabilize and create damage in the shoulder.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Picture of Pipes-Neilsen from GoSwimWeekly website: www.goswim.tv/.../sw...m_medium=email Is this scapular plane swimming or is she rotating her shoulders forward a little into her AC joints? Or is it the pure beauty of scapular plane swimming, with incredible control of flexing only the hands for exit/entry, thus avoiding shoulder stress? I would die for her fly. Also her free. Also her IM. Hi Isobel- I checked out some videos of her swimming on Go Swim- her recovery is in Scapular plane, which is great. However, she is using an EVF that is not part of Scapular plane swimming. That torque and position can destabilize and create damage in the shoulder.
Children
No Data