Dryland Training For Swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am looking to see what everyone out there is doing for there dryland program or strength program. I work at a facility called IHPSWIM and we take a functional approach to our training. We are taking the intensity to the next level since taper is right around the corner, Here is what we did yesterday with the Fort Lauderdale aquatics of Boca Raton. Leg Circuit 3 x 24 squats 24 lunges 24 split jumps 12 jump squats (we do this twice through non - stop in under 2:30) That is a total of 6 sets - killer leg workout! We finished with some core work and some rope climbing. What are you guys doing out there or what questions do you have? Grif Fig Founder of IHPSWIM
Parents
  • My suggestion would be to go with very light weights (or cables) and extremely careful movements on any of the preventative exercises, and that, while these and other strength exercises can be helpful for stabilizing the joints, as you noted, Karl, it doesn't take much for those same exercises to cause additional problems. The strength exercises won't deal with the flexibility issues though, for that I would suggest something more like yoga... a lot of the poses help out with the shoulder, but you have to be careful about those too. If you get into a routine with a series of yoga stretches (especially after you're already warm, maybe post-swim), they can really help out... I know when I'm more regular with my yoga, I feel great and don't have nearly as many tweaks and twinges in the joints during swim practice. Not that i've been good about that lately, but I'm trying to get back into it. Check out Yoga Journal's website, where you can even search for poses based on "anatomical focus": www.yogajournal.com/.../shoulders I think the practice is more effective if you incorporate the shoulder exercises into a general, full-body routine.
  • My suggestion would be to go with very light weights (or cables) and extremely careful movements on any of the preventative exercises, and that, while these and other strength exercises can be helpful for stabilizing the joints, as you noted, Karl, it doesn't take much for those same exercises to cause additional problems. The strength exercises won't deal with the flexibility issues though, for that I would suggest something more like yoga... a lot of the poses help out with the shoulder, but you have to be careful about those too. If you get into a routine with a series of yoga stretches (especially after you're already warm, maybe post-swim), they can really help out... I know when I'm more regular with my yoga, I feel great and don't have nearly as many tweaks and twinges in the joints during swim practice. Not that i've been good about that lately, but I'm trying to get back into it. Check out Yoga Journal's website, where you can even search for poses based on "anatomical focus": www.yogajournal.com/.../shoulders I think the practice is more effective if you incorporate the shoulder exercises into a general, full-body routine.
Children
No Data