Dryland Training For Swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am looking to see what everyone out there is doing for there dryland program or strength program. I work at a facility called IHPSWIM and we take a functional approach to our training. We are taking the intensity to the next level since taper is right around the corner, Here is what we did yesterday with the Fort Lauderdale aquatics of Boca Raton. Leg Circuit 3 x 24 squats 24 lunges 24 split jumps 12 jump squats (we do this twice through non - stop in under 2:30) That is a total of 6 sets - killer leg workout! We finished with some core work and some rope climbing. What are you guys doing out there or what questions do you have? Grif Fig Founder of IHPSWIM
Parents
  • I seek the comments of the forum community on the following matter: I'm attempting to find a set of exercises that I can do to accomplish two objectives. I suspect that these are related: 1) improve my shoulder flexibility so that I can perform a better streamline off each turn. 2) recover from some shoulder trouble that I have been told is "probably tendonitis - likely the bicep tendon" and prevent reoccurrence. Exercises I have experimented with include: ball-on-the-wall (www.perfectlyfitonline.com/.../) internal and external shoulder rotation with stretch bands. Figures 5 and 6 here: (www.physioadvisor.com.au/.../shoulder-strengthening-exercises-shoulder-rehabi.htm) full can (www.thebodymechanic.ca/.../) The "full can" exercise is described in Salo's book, "Complete conditioning for swimming". In this exercise the arms are lifted from the sides with locked elbows and thumbs pointed upward. It cautions to avoid the "empty can" version with the thumbs pointed down, suggesting that this can irritate the tendons in the shoulder. On the other hand, the "empty can" exercise is recommended here: (www.active.com/.../3_Exercises_to_Strengthen_the_Shoulders.htm) I find that the full can version causes clicking in my shoulder, the empty can version does not. What gives? Which is really better? I have found very little advise about how to improve shoulder flexibility. Here is an exercise advocated by someone named Alan Arata to improve flexibility for butterfly: (www.seaserpents.org/.../Flexibility for Butterfly.pdf) Essentially the same exercise is shown in this YouTube video: (www.youtube.com/watch I can see that doing this exercise regularly might improve shoulder flexibility, but is it safe? It looks pretty scary. My thoughts appear to be shared by those commenting on this video: (www.youtube.com/watch Is that exercise a good one? I tried it - more clicking in my shoulders. If it isn't a good choice, what is? The funny thing is that my shoulder trouble started shortly after I made two changes in my training. First, I decided that while I had never had shoulder trouble, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" and that I should start doing rotator cuff exercises as part of my drylands to ensure that I have many good years of swimming ahead of me. Second, I decided that the most significant limitation on my swimming speed is the quality of my streamline so I started to try to do a much tighter streamline off every wall. Within about 2 months of these changes, my L shoulder started to hurt, and my shoulder flexibility has gotten worse.
  • I seek the comments of the forum community on the following matter: I'm attempting to find a set of exercises that I can do to accomplish two objectives. I suspect that these are related: 1) improve my shoulder flexibility so that I can perform a better streamline off each turn. 2) recover from some shoulder trouble that I have been told is "probably tendonitis - likely the bicep tendon" and prevent reoccurrence. Exercises I have experimented with include: ball-on-the-wall (www.perfectlyfitonline.com/.../) internal and external shoulder rotation with stretch bands. Figures 5 and 6 here: (www.physioadvisor.com.au/.../shoulder-strengthening-exercises-shoulder-rehabi.htm) full can (www.thebodymechanic.ca/.../) The "full can" exercise is described in Salo's book, "Complete conditioning for swimming". In this exercise the arms are lifted from the sides with locked elbows and thumbs pointed upward. It cautions to avoid the "empty can" version with the thumbs pointed down, suggesting that this can irritate the tendons in the shoulder. On the other hand, the "empty can" exercise is recommended here: (www.active.com/.../3_Exercises_to_Strengthen_the_Shoulders.htm) I find that the full can version causes clicking in my shoulder, the empty can version does not. What gives? Which is really better? I have found very little advise about how to improve shoulder flexibility. Here is an exercise advocated by someone named Alan Arata to improve flexibility for butterfly: (www.seaserpents.org/.../Flexibility for Butterfly.pdf) Essentially the same exercise is shown in this YouTube video: (www.youtube.com/watch I can see that doing this exercise regularly might improve shoulder flexibility, but is it safe? It looks pretty scary. My thoughts appear to be shared by those commenting on this video: (www.youtube.com/watch Is that exercise a good one? I tried it - more clicking in my shoulders. If it isn't a good choice, what is? The funny thing is that my shoulder trouble started shortly after I made two changes in my training. First, I decided that while I had never had shoulder trouble, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" and that I should start doing rotator cuff exercises as part of my drylands to ensure that I have many good years of swimming ahead of me. Second, I decided that the most significant limitation on my swimming speed is the quality of my streamline so I started to try to do a much tighter streamline off every wall. Within about 2 months of these changes, my L shoulder started to hurt, and my shoulder flexibility has gotten worse.
Children
No Data