Dryland Training For Swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am looking to see what everyone out there is doing for there dryland program or strength program. I work at a facility called IHPSWIM and we take a functional approach to our training. We are taking the intensity to the next level since taper is right around the corner, Here is what we did yesterday with the Fort Lauderdale aquatics of Boca Raton. Leg Circuit 3 x 24 squats 24 lunges 24 split jumps 12 jump squats (we do this twice through non - stop in under 2:30) That is a total of 6 sets - killer leg workout! We finished with some core work and some rope climbing. What are you guys doing out there or what questions do you have? Grif Fig Founder of IHPSWIM
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    I love planks and all the different things that can be done with the different progression. You have somew good questions and I will try to answer them the best I can. 1 - I would say just because we "feel" certain muscles working more doesn't mean thats all that is working. When we do a plank we are teaching the inner muscles of the core to stabilize the spine (this is one train of thought and the one that I agree with). Stabilizing the spine will allows to to transmit foirce better and maintain proper posture in the water. When you plank from your knees it is obviously less intense therefore requiring less spinal stabilization. I feel from the kness is less effective for this reason. 2 - The length is a good debate. Anything over a minute gets a little ridiculous. I would work on increasing the intensity such as a 3 pt plank (lift a leg or arm) try a 3 pt plank with that 1 arm overhead! That is a killer. If you can hold proper form in that position for a minute you have plenty of core strength 3 - Its not exactly the pattern you do - its the rest between sets. For example of I do 3 sets of planks for 1 minute and take 30 seconds rest in between it would be beneficial to do some pull ups during the rest period. Reall, its the difference of doin another exercise during your rest time between planks instead of just sitting there. Hope this helps
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    I love planks and all the different things that can be done with the different progression. You have somew good questions and I will try to answer them the best I can. 1 - I would say just because we "feel" certain muscles working more doesn't mean thats all that is working. When we do a plank we are teaching the inner muscles of the core to stabilize the spine (this is one train of thought and the one that I agree with). Stabilizing the spine will allows to to transmit foirce better and maintain proper posture in the water. When you plank from your knees it is obviously less intense therefore requiring less spinal stabilization. I feel from the kness is less effective for this reason. 2 - The length is a good debate. Anything over a minute gets a little ridiculous. I would work on increasing the intensity such as a 3 pt plank (lift a leg or arm) try a 3 pt plank with that 1 arm overhead! That is a killer. If you can hold proper form in that position for a minute you have plenty of core strength 3 - Its not exactly the pattern you do - its the rest between sets. For example of I do 3 sets of planks for 1 minute and take 30 seconds rest in between it would be beneficial to do some pull ups during the rest period. Reall, its the difference of doin another exercise during your rest time between planks instead of just sitting there. Hope this helps
Children
No Data