Dryland Training For Swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am looking to see what everyone out there is doing for there dryland program or strength program. I work at a facility called IHPSWIM and we take a functional approach to our training. We are taking the intensity to the next level since taper is right around the corner, Here is what we did yesterday with the Fort Lauderdale aquatics of Boca Raton. Leg Circuit 3 x 24 squats 24 lunges 24 split jumps 12 jump squats (we do this twice through non - stop in under 2:30) That is a total of 6 sets - killer leg workout! We finished with some core work and some rope climbing. What are you guys doing out there or what questions do you have? Grif Fig Founder of IHPSWIM
Parents
  • Today I went to my bootcamp class with this thread in the back of my mind, mostly how I should be careful with how I do plyometric type dryland exercises. I noticed that some of the more strenuous jumping exercises could injure one if not performed mindfully. Hmmm...now there's an understatement :) I won't go on a complete boot camp rant, but I will say that many of these exercises that get hastily culled together in these boot camps were not designed to be conditioning tools. These exercises/drills were designed as skill tools to supplement the sport specific training of athletes that had gone through a multiyear progression of mastering basic drills before moving on to the more advanced ones. Doing complex plyometrics in the state of fatigue that most people work themselves into during boot camp class is simply a recipe for injury. A skilled coach with a small group of high level athletes can push the condtioning envelope with complex plyos, but the stuff most boot camp instructors do with their class is just scary (note I said "most"...there are some good ones out there). Regarding the use of multi-planar lower extremity exercises for swimming...yes, they are important (especially for women, due to pelvic structure and the role of hip mobility and stability in protecting the lower back and knees). I don't think you need to spend the time and energy on multi-planar plyos, but it is critical for the hips to function dynamically in all planes. Let's put it this way...if you don't have hip mobility in all planes when you ask your body to perform any type of rotational activity, your body will find a way to find movement from some less efficient mobility source such as the lower back and/or the knees.
  • Today I went to my bootcamp class with this thread in the back of my mind, mostly how I should be careful with how I do plyometric type dryland exercises. I noticed that some of the more strenuous jumping exercises could injure one if not performed mindfully. Hmmm...now there's an understatement :) I won't go on a complete boot camp rant, but I will say that many of these exercises that get hastily culled together in these boot camps were not designed to be conditioning tools. These exercises/drills were designed as skill tools to supplement the sport specific training of athletes that had gone through a multiyear progression of mastering basic drills before moving on to the more advanced ones. Doing complex plyometrics in the state of fatigue that most people work themselves into during boot camp class is simply a recipe for injury. A skilled coach with a small group of high level athletes can push the condtioning envelope with complex plyos, but the stuff most boot camp instructors do with their class is just scary (note I said "most"...there are some good ones out there). Regarding the use of multi-planar lower extremity exercises for swimming...yes, they are important (especially for women, due to pelvic structure and the role of hip mobility and stability in protecting the lower back and knees). I don't think you need to spend the time and energy on multi-planar plyos, but it is critical for the hips to function dynamically in all planes. Let's put it this way...if you don't have hip mobility in all planes when you ask your body to perform any type of rotational activity, your body will find a way to find movement from some less efficient mobility source such as the lower back and/or the knees.
Children
No Data