Dryland Training For Swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am looking to see what everyone out there is doing for there dryland program or strength program. I work at a facility called IHPSWIM and we take a functional approach to our training. We are taking the intensity to the next level since taper is right around the corner, Here is what we did yesterday with the Fort Lauderdale aquatics of Boca Raton. Leg Circuit 3 x 24 squats 24 lunges 24 split jumps 12 jump squats (we do this twice through non - stop in under 2:30) That is a total of 6 sets - killer leg workout! We finished with some core work and some rope climbing. What are you guys doing out there or what questions do you have? Grif Fig Founder of IHPSWIM
Parents
  • Today I went to my bootcamp class with this thread in the back of my mind, mostly how I should be careful with how I do plyometric type dryland exercises. I noticed that some of the more strenuous jumping exercises could injure one if not performed mindfully. I was pretty good at the squat jumps, but hesitant about the "skating". I don't understand how doing this exercise could help me, so I kind of hopped side to side. I guess that the question is, should I focus more on straight-plane exercises for the lower extremity, or would multi-plane exercises be just as beneficial? I just don't see them as functional for swimming as something as a squat jump, which essentially mimics pushing off of the wall.
  • Today I went to my bootcamp class with this thread in the back of my mind, mostly how I should be careful with how I do plyometric type dryland exercises. I noticed that some of the more strenuous jumping exercises could injure one if not performed mindfully. I was pretty good at the squat jumps, but hesitant about the "skating". I don't understand how doing this exercise could help me, so I kind of hopped side to side. I guess that the question is, should I focus more on straight-plane exercises for the lower extremity, or would multi-plane exercises be just as beneficial? I just don't see them as functional for swimming as something as a squat jump, which essentially mimics pushing off of the wall.
Children
No Data