Dryland Training For Swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am looking to see what everyone out there is doing for there dryland program or strength program. I work at a facility called IHPSWIM and we take a functional approach to our training. We are taking the intensity to the next level since taper is right around the corner, Here is what we did yesterday with the Fort Lauderdale aquatics of Boca Raton. Leg Circuit 3 x 24 squats 24 lunges 24 split jumps 12 jump squats (we do this twice through non - stop in under 2:30) That is a total of 6 sets - killer leg workout! We finished with some core work and some rope climbing. What are you guys doing out there or what questions do you have? Grif Fig Founder of IHPSWIM
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Thanks KeWebb - a good discussion is great for everone and gets you thinking about what we should really be doing.Thanks to Ap4305 for making some great points and really adding to the blog. First, as Ap4305 mentioned, we have to look at our needs as a swimmer. I will keep it general here. I call it L.A.P.S. - Lower Body Power, Alignemnt and core rotation exercises, Pull and Push Power, Shoulder Stability. Obviously it helps to look at these areas a little more closely as Ap4305 has but this is a general way to make sure all your needs are addressed in a dryland program. I have found that doing timed circuits are a great way to do a workout for someone who is short on time such as yourself KeWebb. I usually do 30 seconds per exercise with a 15 second rest/transition period. Here is an example of circuit for a beginner Exercise # 1 - Bodyweight Squat - L Exercise # 2 - Planks - A Exercise # 3 - Resistance or Cable pulldowns or swims - P Exercise # 4 - 2 hands on the flexibar (upper vibration) - S Perform this 3 times through - it takes only 3 min per round and a total of 9 min. If you design another one and do that 3 times it will only take 18 minutes. How is that for a short effective workout? I will post some more circuits or you can check soem videos, photos and workouts on my ihpswim facebook page. Oh yeah, and I love rope climbing and totally agree with Ap4305, it doesn't get much better than rope climbing when it comes to pull power and core strength
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Thanks KeWebb - a good discussion is great for everone and gets you thinking about what we should really be doing.Thanks to Ap4305 for making some great points and really adding to the blog. First, as Ap4305 mentioned, we have to look at our needs as a swimmer. I will keep it general here. I call it L.A.P.S. - Lower Body Power, Alignemnt and core rotation exercises, Pull and Push Power, Shoulder Stability. Obviously it helps to look at these areas a little more closely as Ap4305 has but this is a general way to make sure all your needs are addressed in a dryland program. I have found that doing timed circuits are a great way to do a workout for someone who is short on time such as yourself KeWebb. I usually do 30 seconds per exercise with a 15 second rest/transition period. Here is an example of circuit for a beginner Exercise # 1 - Bodyweight Squat - L Exercise # 2 - Planks - A Exercise # 3 - Resistance or Cable pulldowns or swims - P Exercise # 4 - 2 hands on the flexibar (upper vibration) - S Perform this 3 times through - it takes only 3 min per round and a total of 9 min. If you design another one and do that 3 times it will only take 18 minutes. How is that for a short effective workout? I will post some more circuits or you can check soem videos, photos and workouts on my ihpswim facebook page. Oh yeah, and I love rope climbing and totally agree with Ap4305, it doesn't get much better than rope climbing when it comes to pull power and core strength
Children
No Data