Dryland Training For Swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am looking to see what everyone out there is doing for there dryland program or strength program. I work at a facility called IHPSWIM and we take a functional approach to our training. We are taking the intensity to the next level since taper is right around the corner, Here is what we did yesterday with the Fort Lauderdale aquatics of Boca Raton. Leg Circuit 3 x 24 squats 24 lunges 24 split jumps 12 jump squats (we do this twice through non - stop in under 2:30) That is a total of 6 sets - killer leg workout! We finished with some core work and some rope climbing. What are you guys doing out there or what questions do you have? Grif Fig Founder of IHPSWIM
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Great points from the above poster. When designing a dryland program we all need to use progression and make sure propoer technique is demonstrated before moving to the next step. For example, one must show proper from in a body weight squat before adding speed and eventually moving on to a jump squat. I work for JC Santana at the Institute if Human Performance and he has developed 3 simple rules to follow: 1 - No Pain in Movements (you would think would be the obvious but isn't to some) 2 - Show control in all movements 3 - Use proper progression If you follow these rules and make sure your athletes have fawless technique you are good to go. To your point on the term functional training - I do beleive this term is misused way to much in the industry. To many people decide that standing on a stability ball or some senseless exercise that so called looks creative but doesnt so anything is now functional training. You must always ask yourself why am I doing this exercise and how does it being the function I am trying to improve. Train Hard, Train Smart. Next week I will post some workouts that our swimmers are doing in there power phase right before taper starts.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Great points from the above poster. When designing a dryland program we all need to use progression and make sure propoer technique is demonstrated before moving to the next step. For example, one must show proper from in a body weight squat before adding speed and eventually moving on to a jump squat. I work for JC Santana at the Institute if Human Performance and he has developed 3 simple rules to follow: 1 - No Pain in Movements (you would think would be the obvious but isn't to some) 2 - Show control in all movements 3 - Use proper progression If you follow these rules and make sure your athletes have fawless technique you are good to go. To your point on the term functional training - I do beleive this term is misused way to much in the industry. To many people decide that standing on a stability ball or some senseless exercise that so called looks creative but doesnt so anything is now functional training. You must always ask yourself why am I doing this exercise and how does it being the function I am trying to improve. Train Hard, Train Smart. Next week I will post some workouts that our swimmers are doing in there power phase right before taper starts.
Children
No Data