Dryland Training For Swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am looking to see what everyone out there is doing for there dryland program or strength program. I work at a facility called IHPSWIM and we take a functional approach to our training. We are taking the intensity to the next level since taper is right around the corner, Here is what we did yesterday with the Fort Lauderdale aquatics of Boca Raton. Leg Circuit 3 x 24 squats 24 lunges 24 split jumps 12 jump squats (we do this twice through non - stop in under 2:30) That is a total of 6 sets - killer leg workout! We finished with some core work and some rope climbing. What are you guys doing out there or what questions do you have? Grif Fig Founder of IHPSWIM
Parents
  • If we're going to talk sets (please note these were all set up by my trainer - I'm not a masochist - just doing what I'm told): I lift 6x a week. 3 circuits performed 3x per lift. Each circuit consists of hitting each muscular group for strength and then a plyo (or two, if I'm ambitious) and finally a core activity (again, or two if I'm ambitious). I perform each muscle group 2x a week. So I have a legs day, arms day and a "Chest/Shoulders/Back" day. Each lift takes between an hour to 45 minutes. My lifting program is a conditioning program - so my lifts are in sets of 12, with the exception of core which can range from 15 to 50 (depending on what needs to be done) My rest day is generally saturday - even then I'm allowed to do cardio; I usually don't - I sleep. Outside of that - I perform at least 1 cardio activity per day (Swimming counts as a cardio according to my trainer). So if I'm not swimming on that day (T/Th/Su) I will either run (M/F) or play basketball (sprints) However - most importantly - and something that should be stressed to everyone: all of the dryland + swimming + other cardio in the world is worthless without good nutrition and enough sleep.
  • If we're going to talk sets (please note these were all set up by my trainer - I'm not a masochist - just doing what I'm told): I lift 6x a week. 3 circuits performed 3x per lift. Each circuit consists of hitting each muscular group for strength and then a plyo (or two, if I'm ambitious) and finally a core activity (again, or two if I'm ambitious). I perform each muscle group 2x a week. So I have a legs day, arms day and a "Chest/Shoulders/Back" day. Each lift takes between an hour to 45 minutes. My lifting program is a conditioning program - so my lifts are in sets of 12, with the exception of core which can range from 15 to 50 (depending on what needs to be done) My rest day is generally saturday - even then I'm allowed to do cardio; I usually don't - I sleep. Outside of that - I perform at least 1 cardio activity per day (Swimming counts as a cardio according to my trainer). So if I'm not swimming on that day (T/Th/Su) I will either run (M/F) or play basketball (sprints) However - most importantly - and something that should be stressed to everyone: all of the dryland + swimming + other cardio in the world is worthless without good nutrition and enough sleep.
Children
No Data