Dryland Training For Swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am looking to see what everyone out there is doing for there dryland program or strength program. I work at a facility called IHPSWIM and we take a functional approach to our training. We are taking the intensity to the next level since taper is right around the corner, Here is what we did yesterday with the Fort Lauderdale aquatics of Boca Raton. Leg Circuit 3 x 24 squats 24 lunges 24 split jumps 12 jump squats (we do this twice through non - stop in under 2:30) That is a total of 6 sets - killer leg workout! We finished with some core work and some rope climbing. What are you guys doing out there or what questions do you have? Grif Fig Founder of IHPSWIM
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    I do train a lot on the cardiovascular side, but to an extent that is detrimental for swimming. So I won't include it as my swim specific dryland stuff. All I do is 15min of swim cords prior ever swim workout + weights once/week as: - 2 sets of 8-10 squats @ relatively low weight. Aimed at injury prevention for breaststroke kicking mostly - 2 sets of 12pull up / 12 dips non stop - 2 sets of fly specific pulling (using a wide grip bar on a pulley machine) Injury prevention for fly. Found out that too much fly would hurt my arm adductors. Low weight, high rep - 2 sets of Nautilus Fly machine (same reason as for the exercise above). Low weight, high reps. Very very high and wide grip (enough to put me in troubles a bit, just like that front-quadrant portion of the fly pulling) - 2 sets of Shoulder Press (that's for aesthetic, nice round shoulders look good I find), and a bit for injury prevention there again - 2 sets Triceps extensions - Abdominal work The whole thing takes no more than 45min, and no more than 2 days to recuperate from since I keep everything relatively low weight. I usually swim the same day, after the workout, doing long steady work.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    I do train a lot on the cardiovascular side, but to an extent that is detrimental for swimming. So I won't include it as my swim specific dryland stuff. All I do is 15min of swim cords prior ever swim workout + weights once/week as: - 2 sets of 8-10 squats @ relatively low weight. Aimed at injury prevention for breaststroke kicking mostly - 2 sets of 12pull up / 12 dips non stop - 2 sets of fly specific pulling (using a wide grip bar on a pulley machine) Injury prevention for fly. Found out that too much fly would hurt my arm adductors. Low weight, high rep - 2 sets of Nautilus Fly machine (same reason as for the exercise above). Low weight, high reps. Very very high and wide grip (enough to put me in troubles a bit, just like that front-quadrant portion of the fly pulling) - 2 sets of Shoulder Press (that's for aesthetic, nice round shoulders look good I find), and a bit for injury prevention there again - 2 sets Triceps extensions - Abdominal work The whole thing takes no more than 45min, and no more than 2 days to recuperate from since I keep everything relatively low weight. I usually swim the same day, after the workout, doing long steady work.
Children
No Data