The SDK Lane

We love to SDK. It's the 5th stroke. It takes skill, strength, flexibility, conditioning & mental toughness. For many it's the 2nd fastest stroke, but it's not a legal stroke. We wish it was legal. We wish there weren't 15 m restrictions in races. We count our kicks because kicks count. We train to SDK faster. Some call SDKs underwaters or dolphins. What are you doing to improve your SDK? How many do you take in each race? Help! My SDK is Horrible! has many tips & a program to get faster. Here's a helpful post in it. What are your SDK times? 15, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150 & 200? Spend some time in the SDK lane & you'll be kicking faster before you know it. the breastroke lane The Middle Distance Lane The Backstroke Lane The Butterfly Lane The SDK Lane The Taper Lane The Distance Lane The IM Lane The Sprint Free Lane The Pool Deck
Parents
  • Ande, thanks for taking the time to comment. You ask: Hey Karl, congrats on improving your SDK kick count for your 25 how did you start? from a push or dive? what sort of suit did you wear? How much did you rest before testing it? All my tests were from a push. I wear a Speedo endurance brief. All the SDK tests are at the end of practice. The only time I did it rested was the very first time that I actually completed a full 25 SDK, about 6 weeks ago. I wore a jammer that day too. if you SDK a 25 yards in 25 seconds with 30 kicks, you have some efficiency issues I think Chris Stevenson & I do 18 - 20 kicks in a 25 at race pace. Chris mentioned that too. I have been, and will continue, working on DPK Right now your flutter kick is much faster than your SDK Sight unseen I can't really tell you what your SDK technique issues are or give you suggestions on how to fix them other than: + keep doing fast 15 & 25 SDK's with lots of rest to see if you can improve your speed TEST with REST OK, I see that I should test rested some times. I'll probably keep testing 10 & 25 SDKs. 10, because that is the distance I have been testing for several months now so I can compare and see improvement. It also seems like a good goal distance for racing. 15 yds SDK in a race is pretty unimaginable to me just now. + do small amplitude SDKs (too much knee bend might be slowing you down) + increase your frequency ... + stretch your feet & ankles to improve your effortless toe point, + do DPK SDKs where you focus on efficiency & exaggerate your glide, find out how few kicks it takes you to SDK across the pool + how's your pushoff & your streamline PUSH OFF HARD STREAMLINE SKINNY + remember SFF Tip 165 Build a Better Boat ONLY SDK in RACES if IT'S FASTER & a better use of your energy. Thanks for the tips. One interesting thing, every now and then my SDK will seem to hit some "magic spot" and I go shooting down the pool for several kicks. I'm trying to figure out what happens when I get these (very occasional) "magic" events. I am pretty sure kick amplitude and frequency have something to do with it. It's like I occasionally "hit" the perfect combination. Oh, another odd thing. These "magic" events only happen on my back, but my SDK is faster on my front. I've tested that many times with the same result. Today I was talking with one of the University swimmers who feels SDK is one of his strengths. He has size 13 feet! (mine are 8.) Does the Americans with Disabilities Act allow me to use flippers?:bolt:
  • Ande, thanks for taking the time to comment. You ask: Hey Karl, congrats on improving your SDK kick count for your 25 how did you start? from a push or dive? what sort of suit did you wear? How much did you rest before testing it? All my tests were from a push. I wear a Speedo endurance brief. All the SDK tests are at the end of practice. The only time I did it rested was the very first time that I actually completed a full 25 SDK, about 6 weeks ago. I wore a jammer that day too. if you SDK a 25 yards in 25 seconds with 30 kicks, you have some efficiency issues I think Chris Stevenson & I do 18 - 20 kicks in a 25 at race pace. Chris mentioned that too. I have been, and will continue, working on DPK Right now your flutter kick is much faster than your SDK Sight unseen I can't really tell you what your SDK technique issues are or give you suggestions on how to fix them other than: + keep doing fast 15 & 25 SDK's with lots of rest to see if you can improve your speed TEST with REST OK, I see that I should test rested some times. I'll probably keep testing 10 & 25 SDKs. 10, because that is the distance I have been testing for several months now so I can compare and see improvement. It also seems like a good goal distance for racing. 15 yds SDK in a race is pretty unimaginable to me just now. + do small amplitude SDKs (too much knee bend might be slowing you down) + increase your frequency ... + stretch your feet & ankles to improve your effortless toe point, + do DPK SDKs where you focus on efficiency & exaggerate your glide, find out how few kicks it takes you to SDK across the pool + how's your pushoff & your streamline PUSH OFF HARD STREAMLINE SKINNY + remember SFF Tip 165 Build a Better Boat ONLY SDK in RACES if IT'S FASTER & a better use of your energy. Thanks for the tips. One interesting thing, every now and then my SDK will seem to hit some "magic spot" and I go shooting down the pool for several kicks. I'm trying to figure out what happens when I get these (very occasional) "magic" events. I am pretty sure kick amplitude and frequency have something to do with it. It's like I occasionally "hit" the perfect combination. Oh, another odd thing. These "magic" events only happen on my back, but my SDK is faster on my front. I've tested that many times with the same result. Today I was talking with one of the University swimmers who feels SDK is one of his strengths. He has size 13 feet! (mine are 8.) Does the Americans with Disabilities Act allow me to use flippers?:bolt:
Children
No Data