The SDK Lane

We love to SDK. It's the 5th stroke. It takes skill, strength, flexibility, conditioning & mental toughness. For many it's the 2nd fastest stroke, but it's not a legal stroke. We wish it was legal. We wish there weren't 15 m restrictions in races. We count our kicks because kicks count. We train to SDK faster. Some call SDKs underwaters or dolphins. What are you doing to improve your SDK? How many do you take in each race? Help! My SDK is Horrible! has many tips & a program to get faster. Here's a helpful post in it. What are your SDK times? 15, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150 & 200? Spend some time in the SDK lane & you'll be kicking faster before you know it. the breastroke lane The Middle Distance Lane The Backstroke Lane The Butterfly Lane The SDK Lane The Taper Lane The Distance Lane The IM Lane The Sprint Free Lane The Pool Deck
Parents
  • Hey Karl, congrats on improving your SDK kick count for your 25 how did you start? from a push or dive? what sort of suit did you wear? How much did you rest before testing it? if you SDK a 25 yards in 25 seconds with 30 kicks, you have some efficiency issues I think Chris Stevenson & I do 18 - 20 kicks in a 25 at race pace. Right now your flutter kick is much faster than your SDK Sight unseen I can't really tell you what your SDK technique issues are or give you suggestions on how to fix them other than: + keep doing fast 15 & 25 SDK's with lots of rest to see if you can improve your speed TEST with REST + do small amplitude SDKs (too much knee bend might be slowing you down) + increase your frequency you did 30 kicks in 25 seconds 30/25 = 1.2 (so you're doing 1.2 kick cycles each second) a few weeks ago I SDKed 25 in 9.8 & probably did 20 kicks 20/9.8 = 2.0 ( i did 2.0 kick cycles each second, but if you remove the dive and the glide and start the watch when I start kicking, it's probably a bit faster) + stretch your feet & ankles to improve your effortless toe point, + do DPK SDKs where you focus on efficiency & exaggerate your glide, find out how few kicks it takes you to SDK across the pool + how's your pushoff & your streamline PUSH OFF HARD STREAMLINE SKINNY + remember SFF Tip 165 Build a Better Boat ONLY SDK in RACES if IT'S FASTER & a better use of your energy. First the good news. Today I went a full 25 SDK in :25 on 30 kicks. (My lowest kick count ever is 27, but I think it was slower.) When I first completed a full 25 about 6 weeks ago it took me 40 kicks. That's progress! I have also been timing 10 yd SKDs, (when I can find someone to time me). I am more than a full second faster than I was several months ago. I like that trend. In comparison, however, I can flutter kick a 25 in :19. (Probably faster actually, I haven't tested that in a few months because I have been working on other things.) This suggests that my flutter kick is faster than my SDK. So I did some testing. I was swimming repeat 100s backstroke, using 3 SDK per wall. After doing 7 with very consistent times, I decided to push it harder. #8 was 2s faster, and I noticed that I didn't use 3 SDk on every turn. I thought, "that's interesting, I will do only 1 or 2 SDK off each wall and see what happens". #9 was another 1s faster. I decided to skip the SDKs entirely on the last one. #10 was 2s faster yet. Today was my second day back in the pool after much more of a break than I planned, owing to a head cold, so maybe this isn't great data, but it strongly suggests that I should not be doing SDK in races yet (except possibly on the start, I think they are a little effective on my start). Back to the pool tomorrow...
  • Hey Karl, congrats on improving your SDK kick count for your 25 how did you start? from a push or dive? what sort of suit did you wear? How much did you rest before testing it? if you SDK a 25 yards in 25 seconds with 30 kicks, you have some efficiency issues I think Chris Stevenson & I do 18 - 20 kicks in a 25 at race pace. Right now your flutter kick is much faster than your SDK Sight unseen I can't really tell you what your SDK technique issues are or give you suggestions on how to fix them other than: + keep doing fast 15 & 25 SDK's with lots of rest to see if you can improve your speed TEST with REST + do small amplitude SDKs (too much knee bend might be slowing you down) + increase your frequency you did 30 kicks in 25 seconds 30/25 = 1.2 (so you're doing 1.2 kick cycles each second) a few weeks ago I SDKed 25 in 9.8 & probably did 20 kicks 20/9.8 = 2.0 ( i did 2.0 kick cycles each second, but if you remove the dive and the glide and start the watch when I start kicking, it's probably a bit faster) + stretch your feet & ankles to improve your effortless toe point, + do DPK SDKs where you focus on efficiency & exaggerate your glide, find out how few kicks it takes you to SDK across the pool + how's your pushoff & your streamline PUSH OFF HARD STREAMLINE SKINNY + remember SFF Tip 165 Build a Better Boat ONLY SDK in RACES if IT'S FASTER & a better use of your energy. First the good news. Today I went a full 25 SDK in :25 on 30 kicks. (My lowest kick count ever is 27, but I think it was slower.) When I first completed a full 25 about 6 weeks ago it took me 40 kicks. That's progress! I have also been timing 10 yd SKDs, (when I can find someone to time me). I am more than a full second faster than I was several months ago. I like that trend. In comparison, however, I can flutter kick a 25 in :19. (Probably faster actually, I haven't tested that in a few months because I have been working on other things.) This suggests that my flutter kick is faster than my SDK. So I did some testing. I was swimming repeat 100s backstroke, using 3 SDK per wall. After doing 7 with very consistent times, I decided to push it harder. #8 was 2s faster, and I noticed that I didn't use 3 SDk on every turn. I thought, "that's interesting, I will do only 1 or 2 SDK off each wall and see what happens". #9 was another 1s faster. I decided to skip the SDKs entirely on the last one. #10 was 2s faster yet. Today was my second day back in the pool after much more of a break than I planned, owing to a head cold, so maybe this isn't great data, but it strongly suggests that I should not be doing SDK in races yet (except possibly on the start, I think they are a little effective on my start). Back to the pool tomorrow...
Children
No Data