The SDK Lane

We love to SDK. It's the 5th stroke. It takes skill, strength, flexibility, conditioning & mental toughness. For many it's the 2nd fastest stroke, but it's not a legal stroke. We wish it was legal. We wish there weren't 15 m restrictions in races. We count our kicks because kicks count. We train to SDK faster. Some call SDKs underwaters or dolphins. What are you doing to improve your SDK? How many do you take in each race? Help! My SDK is Horrible! has many tips & a program to get faster. Here's a helpful post in it. What are your SDK times? 15, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150 & 200? Spend some time in the SDK lane & you'll be kicking faster before you know it. the breastroke lane The Middle Distance Lane The Backstroke Lane The Butterfly Lane The SDK Lane The Taper Lane The Distance Lane The IM Lane The Sprint Free Lane The Pool Deck
Parents
  • ... I know you are focusing on lung capacity, but I think your DPK is a problem. 36 kicks for a 25 seems a lot; I'm usually at 19-20 kicks. How is your ankle flexibility? And maybe you can tighten your streamline? Thanks for the feedback. It does sound like DPK needs work. My ankle flexibility is quite good, I think, but perhaps I should compare my ankle flexibility to that of the kids on the University team, instead of to the runners and triathletes I see in the pool regularly... -streamline can certainly use improvement, the substitute coach told me so juat last Friday. So I was on travel for the past couple of days. One thing this SDK business has done for swimmers is give us something useful to practice in a tiny hotel pool. The one where I was staying paced off at about 9 yds. I did about 100 "lengths" yesterday and played a lot with SDK-DPK. My "natural" kick count was 5 on the front and 7 on the back, but I could get this down to 3-4 on the front and 5 on the back by working DPK. This seems worth more experimentation.
  • ... I know you are focusing on lung capacity, but I think your DPK is a problem. 36 kicks for a 25 seems a lot; I'm usually at 19-20 kicks. How is your ankle flexibility? And maybe you can tighten your streamline? Thanks for the feedback. It does sound like DPK needs work. My ankle flexibility is quite good, I think, but perhaps I should compare my ankle flexibility to that of the kids on the University team, instead of to the runners and triathletes I see in the pool regularly... -streamline can certainly use improvement, the substitute coach told me so juat last Friday. So I was on travel for the past couple of days. One thing this SDK business has done for swimmers is give us something useful to practice in a tiny hotel pool. The one where I was staying paced off at about 9 yds. I did about 100 "lengths" yesterday and played a lot with SDK-DPK. My "natural" kick count was 5 on the front and 7 on the back, but I could get this down to 3-4 on the front and 5 on the back by working DPK. This seems worth more experimentation.
Children
No Data