The SDK Lane

We love to SDK. It's the 5th stroke. It takes skill, strength, flexibility, conditioning & mental toughness. For many it's the 2nd fastest stroke, but it's not a legal stroke. We wish it was legal. We wish there weren't 15 m restrictions in races. We count our kicks because kicks count. We train to SDK faster. Some call SDKs underwaters or dolphins. What are you doing to improve your SDK? How many do you take in each race? Help! My SDK is Horrible! has many tips & a program to get faster. Here's a helpful post in it. What are your SDK times? 15, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150 & 200? Spend some time in the SDK lane & you'll be kicking faster before you know it. the breastroke lane The Middle Distance Lane The Backstroke Lane The Butterfly Lane The SDK Lane The Taper Lane The Distance Lane The IM Lane The Sprint Free Lane The Pool Deck
Parents
  • I'm not proficient at SDKs, but have incorporated them in the last year and do 2-3 off of every wall in practice. But something I have noticed- they feel much better in practice than they do in a race. If you want to use them effectively in a race, you have to practice them at race pace. Otherwise, you'll just be shakin your groove thang down there. I intend to do more 50s (in short course) where the swim is close to race pace, but the walls are at 50 free race pace. These drills will have gobs of rest, as the intent is to concentrate on technique and feel at speed. I'm sure there are other ways to improve your SDKs in a race and not just in practice, but this is something I intend to work on. :2cents:
  • I'm not proficient at SDKs, but have incorporated them in the last year and do 2-3 off of every wall in practice. But something I have noticed- they feel much better in practice than they do in a race. If you want to use them effectively in a race, you have to practice them at race pace. Otherwise, you'll just be shakin your groove thang down there. I intend to do more 50s (in short course) where the swim is close to race pace, but the walls are at 50 free race pace. These drills will have gobs of rest, as the intent is to concentrate on technique and feel at speed. I'm sure there are other ways to improve your SDKs in a race and not just in practice, but this is something I intend to work on. :2cents:
Children
No Data