The SDK Lane

We love to SDK. It's the 5th stroke. It takes skill, strength, flexibility, conditioning & mental toughness. For many it's the 2nd fastest stroke, but it's not a legal stroke. We wish it was legal. We wish there weren't 15 m restrictions in races. We count our kicks because kicks count. We train to SDK faster. Some call SDKs underwaters or dolphins. What are you doing to improve your SDK? How many do you take in each race? Help! My SDK is Horrible! has many tips & a program to get faster. Here's a helpful post in it. What are your SDK times? 15, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150 & 200? Spend some time in the SDK lane & you'll be kicking faster before you know it. the breastroke lane The Middle Distance Lane The Backstroke Lane The Butterfly Lane The SDK Lane The Taper Lane The Distance Lane The IM Lane The Sprint Free Lane The Pool Deck
Parents
  • I SDK most of the 200 on a diminishing track, 10,8, 5, 5, 3, 3, 3 in short course. I think it is worth experimenting with different SDK strategies in a race. My instinctive strategy -- which may not be best -- is to try to keep them as close as possible throughout the race. In the 100 fly that means 8-9 kicks off each wall (usually 10 off the start) and in the 100 back that means 11 kicks off each wall (usually 9-10 off the start). In the 100 back, those numbers take me out to almost 15m. If I fall off in number it will be on the last wall (eg, sometimes I only make it out to 9-10 in the 10 back) due to fatigue/burning legs. In the 200 back, I can't make it to 15m on every wall, at least not at race pace. I'll usually start with 7 kicks for the first 100 and then settle on 6 for the 2nd 100. In 200 fly, like I said, it is 6 and 5. But I once did a 200 back where I reversed it: did 5-6 kicks going out and then added 1-2 kicks off the walls of the last 100. I did this because I was feeling slightly ill and wanted to conserve my energy; I ended up negative-splitting the race (unusual for me) and had a very nice swim. My best 200 SCM backstroke in the last few years, in fact. So I wonder if "back-loading" the SDKs is a worthwhile strategy to consider. Seems to work for Phelps on that last wall in many races... To make this post relevant to the thread topic, I'll add that by taking more SDK's, I take fewer strokes. Seems logical to use the bigger leg muscles as much as possible and save the smaller arm muscles. I've heard this statement echoed many times, including from some very successful distance flyers. IMO, I think it is more complicated than "saving your arms." In butterfly, everything is connected: if my legs die, then I'm going to sink and go slower, no matter how fresh my arms are. Plus, as you say, the legs are bigger muscles, presenting a greater oxygen demand. Basically, I think there is a happy medium, and every person needs to find it. Wow, spot on the main topic of next season's researches. I want to test systematic usage of train to exhaustion, or systematic failure so to speak, for threshold, max o2 peak and anaerobic capacity systems. The approach you describe doesn't correspond to a lactate production set though, it's a lactate tolerance set. A lactate production or anaerobic power set consists of producing as much lactate as possible, read reaching the fastest speed possible over a duration that is short enough so that you don't need to tolerate this lactate for more than a few seconds. Typically, a 50m corresponds better to this description. Two things. Your body will adapt to this sort of situation, by learning (asap) to better handle this precious energy source (lactate). In the same time though, the high levels of H+ (as well as other corrosive ions) will have a detrimental effect to the structures being exposed to them. Also, when you are almost swimming at vertical (fly) as a result of ridiculously high levels of acidosis, you are taxing the nervous system big time. Because whilst this is occurring, your brain will try to send even stronger electrical signals. The question is : will the benefit outweigh the downside? I don't have an answer at this time. Ande may be right, and the answer may vary between individuals. I am sure that a lot of people could be swimming faster, if only they were trying harder to swim faster when they're given the opportunity to swim fast. It is my case. My bests this season over 50,100 and 200 definitely suggests that I carry this fear of being trapped in the hurt box for too long. I need to break this pattern. I need to start too fast and try to bring it back home anyway, too see what my real limits are. But that's me. Lactate tolerance sets -- and a subset of these, "race-pace" sets -- are critical to swimming fast. I do a lot of these, but I never ever do them as just mentioned: basically, sprint as fast as you can and try to hold on. I never race that way, why would I want to practice that way? Plus as you die, your mechanics will degrade horribly and you don't want to gain bad habits. There are many ways to do lactate-tolerance sets that will give you the desired physiological adaptations without resorting to the "sprint until you die, then keep swimming" repeats. A couple interesting links to short articles: www.drmirkin.com/.../lactic_acid.html (challenges the theory that acidification is reason that muscles "seize up" as LA concentration increases) www.drmirkin.com/.../lactic_acid_intervals.html (most swimmers don't need to be sold on the benefits of interval training, but still interesting)
  • I SDK most of the 200 on a diminishing track, 10,8, 5, 5, 3, 3, 3 in short course. I think it is worth experimenting with different SDK strategies in a race. My instinctive strategy -- which may not be best -- is to try to keep them as close as possible throughout the race. In the 100 fly that means 8-9 kicks off each wall (usually 10 off the start) and in the 100 back that means 11 kicks off each wall (usually 9-10 off the start). In the 100 back, those numbers take me out to almost 15m. If I fall off in number it will be on the last wall (eg, sometimes I only make it out to 9-10 in the 10 back) due to fatigue/burning legs. In the 200 back, I can't make it to 15m on every wall, at least not at race pace. I'll usually start with 7 kicks for the first 100 and then settle on 6 for the 2nd 100. In 200 fly, like I said, it is 6 and 5. But I once did a 200 back where I reversed it: did 5-6 kicks going out and then added 1-2 kicks off the walls of the last 100. I did this because I was feeling slightly ill and wanted to conserve my energy; I ended up negative-splitting the race (unusual for me) and had a very nice swim. My best 200 SCM backstroke in the last few years, in fact. So I wonder if "back-loading" the SDKs is a worthwhile strategy to consider. Seems to work for Phelps on that last wall in many races... To make this post relevant to the thread topic, I'll add that by taking more SDK's, I take fewer strokes. Seems logical to use the bigger leg muscles as much as possible and save the smaller arm muscles. I've heard this statement echoed many times, including from some very successful distance flyers. IMO, I think it is more complicated than "saving your arms." In butterfly, everything is connected: if my legs die, then I'm going to sink and go slower, no matter how fresh my arms are. Plus, as you say, the legs are bigger muscles, presenting a greater oxygen demand. Basically, I think there is a happy medium, and every person needs to find it. Wow, spot on the main topic of next season's researches. I want to test systematic usage of train to exhaustion, or systematic failure so to speak, for threshold, max o2 peak and anaerobic capacity systems. The approach you describe doesn't correspond to a lactate production set though, it's a lactate tolerance set. A lactate production or anaerobic power set consists of producing as much lactate as possible, read reaching the fastest speed possible over a duration that is short enough so that you don't need to tolerate this lactate for more than a few seconds. Typically, a 50m corresponds better to this description. Two things. Your body will adapt to this sort of situation, by learning (asap) to better handle this precious energy source (lactate). In the same time though, the high levels of H+ (as well as other corrosive ions) will have a detrimental effect to the structures being exposed to them. Also, when you are almost swimming at vertical (fly) as a result of ridiculously high levels of acidosis, you are taxing the nervous system big time. Because whilst this is occurring, your brain will try to send even stronger electrical signals. The question is : will the benefit outweigh the downside? I don't have an answer at this time. Ande may be right, and the answer may vary between individuals. I am sure that a lot of people could be swimming faster, if only they were trying harder to swim faster when they're given the opportunity to swim fast. It is my case. My bests this season over 50,100 and 200 definitely suggests that I carry this fear of being trapped in the hurt box for too long. I need to break this pattern. I need to start too fast and try to bring it back home anyway, too see what my real limits are. But that's me. Lactate tolerance sets -- and a subset of these, "race-pace" sets -- are critical to swimming fast. I do a lot of these, but I never ever do them as just mentioned: basically, sprint as fast as you can and try to hold on. I never race that way, why would I want to practice that way? Plus as you die, your mechanics will degrade horribly and you don't want to gain bad habits. There are many ways to do lactate-tolerance sets that will give you the desired physiological adaptations without resorting to the "sprint until you die, then keep swimming" repeats. A couple interesting links to short articles: www.drmirkin.com/.../lactic_acid.html (challenges the theory that acidification is reason that muscles "seize up" as LA concentration increases) www.drmirkin.com/.../lactic_acid_intervals.html (most swimmers don't need to be sold on the benefits of interval training, but still interesting)
Children
No Data