The SDK Lane

We love to SDK. It's the 5th stroke. It takes skill, strength, flexibility, conditioning & mental toughness. For many it's the 2nd fastest stroke, but it's not a legal stroke. We wish it was legal. We wish there weren't 15 m restrictions in races. We count our kicks because kicks count. We train to SDK faster. Some call SDKs underwaters or dolphins. What are you doing to improve your SDK? How many do you take in each race? Help! My SDK is Horrible! has many tips & a program to get faster. Here's a helpful post in it. What are your SDK times? 15, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150 & 200? Spend some time in the SDK lane & you'll be kicking faster before you know it. the breastroke lane The Middle Distance Lane The Backstroke Lane The Butterfly Lane The SDK Lane The Taper Lane The Distance Lane The IM Lane The Sprint Free Lane The Pool Deck
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Although this is a little off subject, would there be any benefit of actually performing this in practice as a lactate production set, by going out too fast for say, a 200, and just barely making it back? Or like attempting sets of 100's at your 25 pace and dying before you finish each Wow, spot on the main topic of next season's researches. I want to test systematic usage of train to exhaustion, or systematic failure so to speak, for threshold, max o2 peak and anaerobic capacity systems. The approach you describe doesn't correspond to a lactate production set though, it's a lactate tolerance set. A lactate production or anaerobic power set consists of producing as much lactate as possible, read reaching the fastest speed possible over a duration that is short enough so that you don't need to tolerate this lactate for more than a few seconds. Typically, a 50m corresponds better to this description. Two things. Your body will adapt to this sort of situation, by learning (asap) to better handle this precious energy source (lactate). In the same time though, the high levels of H+ (as well as other corrosive ions) will have a detrimental effect to the structures being exposed to them. Also, when you are almost swimming at vertical (fly) as a result of ridiculously high levels of acidosis, you are taxing the nervous system big time. Because whilst this is occurring, your brain will try to send even stronger electrical signals. The question is : will the benefit outweigh the downside? I don't have an answer at this time. Ande may be right, and the answer may vary between individuals. I am sure that a lot of people could be swimming faster, if only they were trying harder to swim faster when they're given the opportunity to swim fast. It is my case. My bests this season over 50,100 and 200 definitely suggests that I carry this fear of being trapped in the hurt box for too long. I need to break this pattern. I need to start too fast and try to bring it back home anyway, too see what my real limits are. But that's me.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Although this is a little off subject, would there be any benefit of actually performing this in practice as a lactate production set, by going out too fast for say, a 200, and just barely making it back? Or like attempting sets of 100's at your 25 pace and dying before you finish each Wow, spot on the main topic of next season's researches. I want to test systematic usage of train to exhaustion, or systematic failure so to speak, for threshold, max o2 peak and anaerobic capacity systems. The approach you describe doesn't correspond to a lactate production set though, it's a lactate tolerance set. A lactate production or anaerobic power set consists of producing as much lactate as possible, read reaching the fastest speed possible over a duration that is short enough so that you don't need to tolerate this lactate for more than a few seconds. Typically, a 50m corresponds better to this description. Two things. Your body will adapt to this sort of situation, by learning (asap) to better handle this precious energy source (lactate). In the same time though, the high levels of H+ (as well as other corrosive ions) will have a detrimental effect to the structures being exposed to them. Also, when you are almost swimming at vertical (fly) as a result of ridiculously high levels of acidosis, you are taxing the nervous system big time. Because whilst this is occurring, your brain will try to send even stronger electrical signals. The question is : will the benefit outweigh the downside? I don't have an answer at this time. Ande may be right, and the answer may vary between individuals. I am sure that a lot of people could be swimming faster, if only they were trying harder to swim faster when they're given the opportunity to swim fast. It is my case. My bests this season over 50,100 and 200 definitely suggests that I carry this fear of being trapped in the hurt box for too long. I need to break this pattern. I need to start too fast and try to bring it back home anyway, too see what my real limits are. But that's me.
Children
No Data