The SDK Lane

We love to SDK. It's the 5th stroke. It takes skill, strength, flexibility, conditioning & mental toughness. For many it's the 2nd fastest stroke, but it's not a legal stroke. We wish it was legal. We wish there weren't 15 m restrictions in races. We count our kicks because kicks count. We train to SDK faster. Some call SDKs underwaters or dolphins. What are you doing to improve your SDK? How many do you take in each race? Help! My SDK is Horrible! has many tips & a program to get faster. Here's a helpful post in it. What are your SDK times? 15, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150 & 200? Spend some time in the SDK lane & you'll be kicking faster before you know it. the breastroke lane The Middle Distance Lane The Backstroke Lane The Butterfly Lane The SDK Lane The Taper Lane The Distance Lane The IM Lane The Sprint Free Lane The Pool Deck
Parents
  • 28 32 1:00 36 1:36 44 2:20 I don't think he SDKed much he went vertical on that last 50, it was awful, painful, & somewhat hilarious to witness in a twisted sort of way OK, I've been swimming the 200 fly for a long time and have experienced that swim once or twice. It is usually the swim that convinces people never to attempt the 200 fly again. I SDK most of the 200 on a diminishing track, 10,8, 5, 5, 3, 3, 3 in short course. I get a good push off anyway, so the fewer kicks don't hurt much. The secret of swimming a good and pain free 200 fly is simple. The first 50 should feel like you are holding back, control gone mad, almost. After that, each 50 is a buildup of effort, trying to descend each. The most important thing of all, remember to exhale while your face is in the water. My best splits for a 200 fly have my last 50 being the second fastest. This accomplishes two things: a) you are stimulated to swim faster because you know that you have only 50 left, and b) the other swimmers near by feel worse yet when they see you accelerate near the end of the race.
  • 28 32 1:00 36 1:36 44 2:20 I don't think he SDKed much he went vertical on that last 50, it was awful, painful, & somewhat hilarious to witness in a twisted sort of way OK, I've been swimming the 200 fly for a long time and have experienced that swim once or twice. It is usually the swim that convinces people never to attempt the 200 fly again. I SDK most of the 200 on a diminishing track, 10,8, 5, 5, 3, 3, 3 in short course. I get a good push off anyway, so the fewer kicks don't hurt much. The secret of swimming a good and pain free 200 fly is simple. The first 50 should feel like you are holding back, control gone mad, almost. After that, each 50 is a buildup of effort, trying to descend each. The most important thing of all, remember to exhale while your face is in the water. My best splits for a 200 fly have my last 50 being the second fastest. This accomplishes two things: a) you are stimulated to swim faster because you know that you have only 50 left, and b) the other swimmers near by feel worse yet when they see you accelerate near the end of the race.
Children
No Data