The SDK Lane

We love to SDK. It's the 5th stroke. It takes skill, strength, flexibility, conditioning & mental toughness. For many it's the 2nd fastest stroke, but it's not a legal stroke. We wish it was legal. We wish there weren't 15 m restrictions in races. We count our kicks because kicks count. We train to SDK faster. Some call SDKs underwaters or dolphins. What are you doing to improve your SDK? How many do you take in each race? Help! My SDK is Horrible! has many tips & a program to get faster. Here's a helpful post in it. What are your SDK times? 15, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150 & 200? Spend some time in the SDK lane & you'll be kicking faster before you know it. the breastroke lane The Middle Distance Lane The Backstroke Lane The Butterfly Lane The SDK Lane The Taper Lane The Distance Lane The IM Lane The Sprint Free Lane The Pool Deck
Parents
  • Do any of these two compete in both 100fly and 200fly? So far, the fastest fly swimmer I came across on this site is Born2Fly I believe, a swimmer to whom I can relate since he does compete in the 200mfly event. Not much SDK though... I consider SDK into Backstroke races as being a completely different animal. How far from the wall does this bring you? And more importantly, what's your breathing pattern during the 100? Can you SDK 6-8 then perform the full stroke portion breathing every 2? During the 200fly, what's your sdk count? Mike and Chris are both national record holders in fly. Mike does only the 50-100. Chris does the 100-200 and hates the 50. He SDKs quite a bit in his 200, but I'm not certain of the # he takes. I'm sure he'll come along and answer. I know he doesn't breathe every other stroke though; he adds a lot of singles even in a 100 fly. I don't swim the 200 fly. :afraid: If I take too many SDKs in a 200 back though, I go into oxygen debt and crash. SDK for back and fly are very different. I take many more in backstroke. My 100 fly might be 10-8-8-7. Forgot to count last time I swam it. Here's how a good SDK can help you in a race, and I was playing it very safe with the 15 meter mark after Chris suffered a costly DQ in the 200. 50 back from LC Nats: YouTube- Leslie's 50 LCM Backstroke National Championship Performance. Here's a recent SCY 50: YouTube- MVI 1033. Hopefully, Chris can post some footage for you too.
  • Do any of these two compete in both 100fly and 200fly? So far, the fastest fly swimmer I came across on this site is Born2Fly I believe, a swimmer to whom I can relate since he does compete in the 200mfly event. Not much SDK though... I consider SDK into Backstroke races as being a completely different animal. How far from the wall does this bring you? And more importantly, what's your breathing pattern during the 100? Can you SDK 6-8 then perform the full stroke portion breathing every 2? During the 200fly, what's your sdk count? Mike and Chris are both national record holders in fly. Mike does only the 50-100. Chris does the 100-200 and hates the 50. He SDKs quite a bit in his 200, but I'm not certain of the # he takes. I'm sure he'll come along and answer. I know he doesn't breathe every other stroke though; he adds a lot of singles even in a 100 fly. I don't swim the 200 fly. :afraid: If I take too many SDKs in a 200 back though, I go into oxygen debt and crash. SDK for back and fly are very different. I take many more in backstroke. My 100 fly might be 10-8-8-7. Forgot to count last time I swam it. Here's how a good SDK can help you in a race, and I was playing it very safe with the 15 meter mark after Chris suffered a costly DQ in the 200. 50 back from LC Nats: YouTube- Leslie's 50 LCM Backstroke National Championship Performance. Here's a recent SCY 50: YouTube- MVI 1033. Hopefully, Chris can post some footage for you too.
Children
No Data