Swimming history - flip turns and goggles

Former Member
Former Member
Does anyone remember: When were flip turns in free style invented/introduced in competitive swimming? When did goggles become 'standard equipment' for swimmers? Thanks!
Parents
  • I stopped competing in backstroke around 87 when it became legal to roll over and flip. I've tried to adjust but find it disorienting still even though I've always done flip turns in free. Interesting. I actually find it more straightforward to do a flip turn in backstroke these days than in free. Perhaps it has something to do with a more consistent relationship between the backstroke flags and my position in the pool (the tee on the bottom is close enough to the wall to not allow quick adjustments if I'm off a bit) a more symmetric stroke (I only breathe to the right in free) having lungs full of air going into the turn In fact, when warming up, I frequently start off with open turns (to let my back loosen up a bit), and often do my first flip turn while swimming backstroke, even if I've done a fair bit of free before that.
  • I stopped competing in backstroke around 87 when it became legal to roll over and flip. I've tried to adjust but find it disorienting still even though I've always done flip turns in free. Interesting. I actually find it more straightforward to do a flip turn in backstroke these days than in free. Perhaps it has something to do with a more consistent relationship between the backstroke flags and my position in the pool (the tee on the bottom is close enough to the wall to not allow quick adjustments if I'm off a bit) a more symmetric stroke (I only breathe to the right in free) having lungs full of air going into the turn In fact, when warming up, I frequently start off with open turns (to let my back loosen up a bit), and often do my first flip turn while swimming backstroke, even if I've done a fair bit of free before that.
Children
No Data